Fire safety warning for motorhome and caravan owners after Rothwell blaze
Two motorhomes were destroyed in the early hours of May 10
Following a fire that destroyed two motorhomes in Rothwell, Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued guidance on recreational vehicle (RV) safety.
The camper vans at an address in Violet Lane were destroyed by a blaze that also damaged four cars, two summer houses and to the windows of a nearby house.
Firefighters called to the scene found the two recreational vehicles well alight and had to introduce a 100-metre cordon around the scene due to two gas cylinders being involved.
The cause of the fire is believed to be to an electrical fault after the scene was examined by fire investigation officers.
A spokesman for Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service gave advice for preventing fire in a caravan, motorhome or chalet.
They said: "Fit a smoke alarm and test it every month. It could save your life.
"Turn off electrical items before you go to bed. If you must use candles, place them in a secure holder, away from children or pets and extinguish them properly.
"Don’t leave cooking unattended and don’t dry washing near a stove or heater.
"If you smoke, make sure your cigarettes are properly put out and never smoke in bed. Never use fuel burning appliances like disposable barbecues or camping stoves, heaters or lanterns inside a caravan or motorhome.
"Don’t block air vents and make sure the caravan or motorhome is ventilated and keep a fire extinguisher by the entrance and make sure you know how to use it
"If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call 999."
The spokesman added: "Gas cylinders need to be treated with care. Don’t store them in or under your caravan. Keep them on level ground outside and away from heat sources. Keep spare and empty cylinders in the open air secured by a safety strap.
"Only change gas cylinders when they are completely empty and make sure a new cylinder is secure before connecting it. Make sure all cylinder valves are turned off before disconnecting and don’t turn it on before the connection is complete."