Police shut down rave near Wellingborough

One man was arrested

By Phoebe Radford
Sunday, 28th June 2020, 11:44 am
Updated Sunday, 28th June 2020, 12:26 pm
Rubbish including nitrous oxide canisters left at the site of a new year rave in Corby
Rubbish including nitrous oxide canisters left at the site of a new year rave in Corby

Police shut down a rave near Wilby, Wellingborough last night (Saturday, June 27).

Northamptonshire Police had previously warned that raves may be planned for this weekend and Chief Inspector Tom Thompson had asked people to report any concerns.

Officers took part in a planned operation to disperse the event and Chief Inspector Thompson, who led the operation, said: "The policing operation was set up in response to information received that an an unlicensed music event was likely to take place somewhere in the county on Saturday night.

PCSO Paul Hurst shared the news online

"During the course of Saturday evening, through officers on patrol and information from the public, we became aware that a number of vehicles and people appeared to be making their way to a location between Great Doddington and Wilby.

"Officers attended the site, seized equipment and one man was arrested. They spoke with approximately 40 to 50 other people who were directed to leave the area."

A 34-year-old Wellingborough man was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and public order offences and is currently in police custody.

Chief Inspector Thompson said: "Our aim is always to prevent such events before they become established and early information from the public is key to this.

"We were made aware that such an event was likely to take place in the county so we were able to plan and have resources in place to deal with it quickly and robustly if it happened."

The officer also reiterated the negative impact these illegal events can have on communities and the risk currently posed by Covid-19.

Chief Inspector Thomson said: "As well as causing a great deal of disruption and inconvenience to local people, these unauthorised events have no measures in place to ensure the safety and wellbeing of those who attend. They are also in clear breach of the current Covid-19 regulations and put everyone at risk.

"I hope the disruption of this event and the arrest this weekend demonstrates that we will take action against those suspected of illegal activity."

Wellingborough Rural Police Team's PCSO Paul Hurst tweeted this morning: "Brilliant work by colleagues last night who shut down a rave near Wilby.

"Attendees were dispersed and a man was arrested and had their vehicle and sound system seized.

"Raves can be hugely disruptive and cause lots of disorder."

Chief Inspector Thompson said on Twitter: "No injuries to public or officers. One UME (unlicensed music event) shut down, one arrested and sound equipment seized."

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the highest standards in the world. The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you