Several deaths at Corby care home after mass Covid outbreak

The situation is being 'monitored closely'

Thursday, 28th January 2021, 1:27 pm

At least nine Corby care home residents have died and dozens of others have been infected after a huge Covid outbreak, it is understood.

Health bodies have moved to support Seagrave House in Occupation Road after the virus spread through the home, which provides residential, respite and dementia care.

This newspaper understands that as many as 35 residents and 40 members of staff have tested positive for Covid-19 since the start of the outbreak over the new year period.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Seagrave House in Corby.

At least nine residents have died, it is understood.

Katie Brown, acting director of adult social care at Northamptonshire Adult Social Services, said: “Public Health Northamptonshire tracks all of the county’s known outbreak situations and takes action to manage the coronavirus in our communities.

“We are aware of an outbreak at Seagrave House and are providing residents and staff with appropriate guidance and support. We are working with the local public heath team, Public Health England and environmental health colleagues and closely monitoring the situation.

“We are not able to provide further specific details on the settings as we are subject to information governance regulations in order to protect the privacy of individuals and we are confident that this is a contained outbreak and does not pose a threat to the wider community.”

Seagrave House in Corby.

Any regulated service has to inform the Care Quality Commission (CQC) when a service user in adult social care dies.

It's understood the CQC was notified of several deaths by Seagrave House over the weekend, although their causes of death are yet to be confirmed.

A CQC spokesman said: “We are aware of a coronavirus outbreak at Seagrave House, and that the service has sadly reported that some of its residents have died.

“We are monitoring the situation closely to ensure people’s safety.

"We are also working with our health and social care partners to support the service to respond to this challenge.”

The cause of the outbreak is not yet known at this stage.

Those who have tested positive must wait four weeks for a vaccination. About 15 residents who have not been infected were due to have their first jab by the county clinical commissioning group's home visiting service, who are running care home vaccinations, last week.

But a risk assessment has to be carried out before a vaccination team can be sent to a care home - and Seagrave House's planned vaccination date was cancelled.

It's understood that the care home was originally told that the vaccine had been postponed for up to four weeks, and that they would likely be given a new date in February.

However, today it's been confirmed that the home has a vaccination team going in tomorrow (Friday).

Seagrave House, which cared for 84 people at the time of its last inspection by health regulators, did not return a request for comment.

Northampton-based Avery Healthcare, who run the home, directed this newspaper to Public Health England when approached for comment but did not refute the numbers of cases and deaths put to them.

A Public Health England spokesman confirmed they are aware of the outbreak and are supporting the care home.

There are currently 45 active care home outbreaks in the county, including six in Corby.

More than 200 Covid deaths have been recorded in Northamptonshire care homes since last March.

Fifteen residents of Temple Court in Kettering died after a Covid outbreak last year and the care home was ordered to close.

A seven-month police probe ended with no further action earlier this month.