Steelmen's relegation fears grow with defeat at Fylde

Corby Town's problems at the bottom of the Vanarama National League North deepened as they suffered a 2-1 defeat at promotion contenders AFC Fylde.

Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 9:16 pm
Updated Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 9:21 pm

Two goals from Danny Rowe proved decisive while Kalern Thomas pulled one back late on but the result leaves the Steelmen rooted to the foot of the table.

And their fate has now been taken out of their own hands as they remain four points adrift of safety but now with just one game in hand on AFC Telford United, who sit just above the relegation zone.

The long midweek trek north proved fruitless for Tommy Wright’s men as they were bidding to bounce back from the 4-1 home defeat to North Ferriby United at the weekend.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Fylde started the better with Richie Baker seeing his shot blocked after Sam Donkin had spilled a cross from Matty Hughes.

The Steelmen had their moments with Nathan Hicks sending a long range effort over before Greg Mill shot wide after Corby had broken upfield quickly.

But Fylde continued to create the better chances and Baker was narrowly off target with a half-volley and then shot over from inside the six-yard box after Donkin had parried Bohan Dixon’s strike.

Rowe went close after being played in by Hughes but he did break the deadlock three minutes before half-time when he was on hand to tap home after Dixon’s cross had evaded Donkin.

Cleveland Taylor had a decent effort for the Steelmen early in the second half while Donkin saved well from Dion Charles at the other end.

Chances proved to be few and far between and Rowe sent a free-kick just wide before he forced Donkin into another save with seven minutes to go.

But Rowe grabbed what proved to be the winner when he lashed home the rebound after Donkin could only parry Danny Lloyd’s effort.

Thomas did give the Steelmen some late hope with a close-range finish in stoppage-time.

But they were unable to find an equaliser and will now prepare for their next challenge at play-off chasing Tamworth on Saturday.