Player talks 'ongoing' as Poppies try to plan ahead

Kettering Town's focus is on the next Vanarama National League North campaign

Thursday, 22nd April 2021, 10:30 am
Paul Cox has held 'initial discussions' with players as Kettering Town start putting plans in place for next season. Picture by Peter Short

Paul Cox says “initial conversations” have taken place between Kettering Town and “certain players” as plans for next season swing into action.

It’s been two months since the ill-fated Vanarama National League North 2020-21 campaign was declared null and void following a vote by member clubs.

Since then, the focus for Step 2 teams has switched to what is hoped will be a full and uninterrupted 2021-22 season, which is scheduled to get under way on Saturday, August 14.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Cox is still waiting to complete a full campaign at the helm at Latimer Park despite being in the job since October 2019.

As ever, a turnaround in players is to be expected and Cox insists planning for the next campaign is already under way.

“It’s a bit of a strange time to be fair because the season hasn’t officially ended and contracts haven’t ended for players,” the Poppies boss said.

“We are trying to use this time to plan and to try to utilise it so that we get a bit of a head start.

“It has been busy organising pre-season and talking to our players so that we can ease our way back into things when the time comes.

“Talks are ongoing with players, we are talking to people all the time.

“It’s not just a one-way thing. We only had a small number of players on contract last season so the majority of the lads who were here are free to choose what they want to do.

“Initial conversations have been had with certain players and towards the end of this month we will probably be in a better position to look at where we are and where we need to go to strengthen us.”