Brunton steps down as Lankies boss following last-day loss

Dale Brunton stepped down as Rushden & Higham United manager after their ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Division One season ended with a 3-0 defeat to promoted ON Chenecks at Hayden Road.

Sunday, 1st May 2016, 8:30 am
Dale Brunton stepped down as Rushden & Higham United manager after their final-day defeat to ON Chenecks

Goals from Sam Watkins and Ben Lewington put the visitors 2-0 up before the break and then Simon Underwood rounded things off nine minutes into the second half.

Third-placed Stewarts & Lloyds completed their campaign with an impressive fightback as they claimed a 5-3 win at Lutterworth Athletic.

Alex Rhodes gave the hosts the lead before Paul Caswell equalised for the Foundrymen.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sam Young put Lutterworth back in front, only for Mark Forbes to level again.

But the home side did go into the break 3-2 to the good thanks to Jack Sutherland.

However, S&L produced a fine second-half display to wrap up the points.

Caswell made it 3-3 and then Michael Byrne put them in front for the first time.

And the victory was completed when Ryan Bell struck 10 minutes from full-time.

Thrapston Town’s season ended on a high note as they claimed a 3-2 success at Buckingham Town.

Lloyd Buckby put Ian Walker’s team in front but the hosts levelled through Tariq Kotey.

However, Thrapston pulled away after the break with Buckby grabbing his second and Jack Wisniewski also getting on the scoresheet.

Kotey completed a brace of his own but Thrapston held on to secure a top-10 finish.

The battle between bottom and top had a predictable ending but Burton Park Wanderers gave champions Peterborough Sports plenty to think about at Latimer Park.

Dan Lawlor’s goal five minutes into the second half was all there was between the two teams in the end as Sports racked up an incredible 33rd win from 36 matches in the campaign.

Irchester United were on the end of a 6-2 beating at Olney Town.

Jack Weeden gave the home side the lead before Dave Miles equalised for the Romans.

Weeden completed a first-half hat-trick to make it 3-1 but Ryan Lovell also scored before the break to ensure Irchester were still in it.

But Olney ran in three further goals after the break with Weeden sealing a four-goal haul before Josh Sturniolo and Dean Torto also got in on the act.

Wanderers and Irchester round off their respective seasons when they meet at Latimer Park on Wednesday night.