Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” sashayed into the top spot, closely followed by Diana Ross’ “I’m Coming Out.” Top ten spots also went to Madonna “Express Yourself,” “Freedom” by George Michael and Cher’s “Believe”. The full playlist can be found on Spotify or by scanning a bottle of Wildcat Gin or Vodka.
The top tunes were polled from an initial longlist of songs picked by an LGBTQ+ jury of journalists, performers and personalities - including Ru Paul’s Drag Race star and musician, Ginny Lemon, who is recreating “Born This Way” in their own inimitable style.
Wildcat Gin – who are donating 10% of proceeds from special packs sold in June to an LGBTQ+ arts community fund as well as giving out free Discoball cocktail cups throughout June - polled the nation’s queer music fans to create a new playlist of the Top 50 Ultimate Pride tunes.
Ginny Lemon said: “Fancy a Slice? Fancy a Wildcat Gin! Music and performing is a fundamental form of expression for me, so it’s been wonderful working with Wildcat to uncover the Ultimate Pride Anthems as chosen by the fabulous queer community.
“Enjoy my unique cover of Lady Gaga’s Born This Way – voted as the ultimate number one anthem. And with proceeds going to an amazing cause, grab yourself a bottle or two now, and I’ll see you at a Pride event very soon, babz!”
While most IRL Pride parades and events are postponed for a second year, 80% of the community surveyed by Wildcat Gin* said that it was still important for them to celebrate Pride Month. Over half agreed that Pride is a time that they feel more accepted and free to be themselves, while 83% agreed that music is important to the Pride movement.
Kenny Nicholson, Head of Wildcat Gin, said: “We know that people celebrate and mark Pride month in many different ways but uniting with LGBTQ+ friends and allies through music is such an important form of expression - whether through performance, singing, protesting or dancing.
Honouring empowering tunes
That’s why we want to honour some of the tunes that have made us feel free, empowered or happy over the years. We hope the playlist helps to soundtrack people’s celebrations this year.
“We’re extending our support of the Pink Noise fund to support LGBTQ+ creatives, by donating 10% of proceeds from every Pride bottle of our flavoured Gin or Vodka sold at Tesco throughout the month.”
And to make sure the community’s cocktails are as stylish as their outfits on the dancefloor, there are 2000 free Discoball cups available to claim with the purchase of either Wildcat Bramble Gin, Wildcat Passion Gin, Wildcat Cherry Vodka or Wildcat Vanilla Vodka at Tesco stores nationwide this June.
The Top 50 Pride anthems in order are:
1. Born This Way - Lady Gaga
2. I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross
3. I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
4. I Am What I Am - Gloria Gaylor
5. Dancing Queen - ABBA
6. It's Raining Men - The Weather Girls
7. Believe - Cher
8. Freedom - George Michael
9. Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
10. Express Yourself - Madonna
11. We Are Family - Sister Sledge
12. A Little Respect - Erasure
13. I'm Every Woman - Chaka Khan
14. Gay Bar - Electric Six
15. Man! I Feel Like A Woman - Shania Twain
16. I Wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston
17. Everybody's Free - Rozella
18. Sisters are Doing it for Themselves - Eurythmics
19. Spinning Around - Kylie
20. All the Lovers – Kylie Minogue
21. Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
22. MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) - Lil Nas X
23. A Little Bit Of Love - RuPaul
24. Spice Up Your Life - Spice Girls
25. Movin On Up - M People
26. Free - Ultra Nate
27. Euphoria - Loreen
28. Summer of Love - Steps
29. Finally - CeCe Peniston
30. Let's Have A Kiki - Scissor Sisters
31. On A Night Like This – Kylie Minogue
32. Standing in the Way of Control – The Gossip
33. Same Love - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
34. Thinkin Bout You - Frank Ocean
35. Waiting For Tonight - Jennifer Lopez
36. Pynk - Janelle Monae
37. Left Outside Alone - Anastacia
38. Closer - Tegan and Sara
39. Touch - Shura
40. My House - Jodie Harsh
41. Black and Gold - Sam Sparrow
42. "La Vie En Rose - Grace Jones"
43. LUCID - Rina Sawayama
44. Professional Widow Remix - Tori Amos
45. "I Know A Place - MUNA"
46. Playing With The Boys - Kenny Loggins
47. The Day After That - Liza Minnelli
48. What I Need - Hayley Kiyoko feat. Kehlani
49. Higher - VINCINT
50. Hair Looks Fierce - Amanda Lepore