Poppies boss Law hails 'really important win'

Marcus Law was pleased with 'a really important win' as Kettering Town maintained top spot in the Evo-Stik League South Premier Division Central.

Saturday, 29th September 2018, 10:47 pm
Updated Saturday, 29th September 2018, 10:59 pm
Rhys Hoenes celebrates his second goal in Kettering Town's 3-1 success at Alvechurch. Pictures by Peter Short

The Poppies claimed a 3-1 victory at Alvechurch with Rhys Hoenes scored twice while Declan Towers grabbed his first goal for the club.

But Law admitted his team were far from comfortable, certainly in the first half, as they maintained their two-point advantage at the summit.

Declan Towers heads home the Poppies' second goal

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Hoenes gave Kettering the lead from the penalty spot but Alvechurch levelled, only for Towers to head home on the stroke of half-time.

Hoenes rounded things off during a more comfortable second half and Law said: “It certainly wasn’t all plain sailing for us.

“We made a great start and that actually worked against us because Alvechurch really upped their work-rate and we certainly weren’t comfortable at all.

“There was a mistake for their goal but our second was the one that changed it all.

Rhys Hoenes and Marcus Kelly celebrate after the former had opened the scoring from the penalty spot

“It probably turned the half-time team talk into something a bit more constructive rather than the ear bashing that may have taken place if we hadn’t got the goal.

“But we came out in the second half and were very comfortable and in control of things.

“It’s a really important win for us to be honest. We are still in the FA Cup and while we are playing in that, others may be racking up points in the league.

“So you have to take advantage of these games when you can. It was pleasing to do that.

“We have got players back and we look a lot stronger than we did a couple of weeks ago.”

Despite having some back from injury and suspension, the Poppies have been hit by another hammer blow.

Law confirmed utility man Gary Stohrer is facing up to two months on the sidelines after he suffered a broken foot in last weekend’s 2-1 win over AFC Mansfield in the second qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup.

Stohrer has enjoyed an outstanding start to the new season and Law added: “Gary broke his foot in last week’s game and he is going to be out for six to eight weeks.

“It’s a big loss for us and I think we noticed his absence this weekend.

“From the moment he came into the club when Mitch Austin brought him here, he has been a first-class performer in whatever position we have asked him to fill.

“He had made himself one of the first names on the team sheet this season, even if we didn’t always know where we would play him.

“I feel really sorry for him but we have to be positive and he will look after himself.

“We will have a good player back in the next couple of months and we are likely to have him with us around the same time that Aaron O’Connor and James Brighton are due to return.”