Another NINE WEEK delay for Corby's Neville House

The flagship project has been hit by several glitches

By Kate Cronin
Monday, 1st June 2020, 7:01 am
The building has been converted to provide council flats at a cost of 1.5m
The building has been converted to provide council flats at a cost of 1.5m

Neville House will not be open to its new residents for another nine weeks, they have been told.

People desperate to move into the 12 converted flats in George Street have been waiting since last year when they were told their new homes would be ready by November.

But delays in the £1.5m scheme meant that their move was put-off until the new year, then again until the end of February.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

How Neville House looked before its refurb

Two months ago, Corby Council, which is converting the disused block, told fed-up residents that they would be in their new homes by the end of March.

But that never happened, and sources have told the Northants Telegraph there could be another NINE week delay in the project, believed to have been caused by a dispute with work to the lift.

A prospective resident said: "Nobody seems to know what's going on. It's absolutely ridiculous. To be told we might not be in our new home until the summer is over is an absolute kick in the teeth.

"The place we're staying is horrible and not practical and to have had to spend lockdown here has been pretty awful."

A Corby Council spokeswoman said: "As a council we are committed to ensuring our residents are living in safe conditions, and unfortunately on this occasion, it means that there is a delay in moving tenants in.

"Contractors need to finalise building works which have fallen behind during the current pandemic but we will endeavour to get residents into their new homes as soon as possible.”