‘Threat’ forces evacuation of Corby Cube

Police were said to have arrived quickly

Saturday, 8th February 2020, 8:03 pm
Updated Saturday, 8th February 2020, 8:04 pm
There had earlier been huge queues to see the Museum of the Moon exhibition

The Corby Cube was evacuated this evening (Saturday, February 8) following what visitors said was a ‘threat’ to the building.

Police have not revealed the nature of the incident but people inside the Cube, which was at the centre of the celebrations during this weekend’s successful Grow Festival, were told to leave immediately while emergency services checked that that all was well in the landmark civic building.

The Corby Core has been hosting the Museum of the Moon all week and there have been long queues of people snaking around the building to see the anticipated exhibition.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

One person who was in the building as it was evacuated said that a ‘threat’ had come in over the radio. She said drinkers in the Qube bar on the ground floor were told to leave at about teatime tonight to allow the police to sweep the building.

”We were outside for about 20 minutes before we decided to move away once we knew what was going on.

”Everyone inside only went to the outside seating area.”

Another Qube customer said that even bar staff didn’t seem to know what was happening but helped to evacuate customers to the outside seating area.

Paramedics were also seen in the foyer of the Cube.

People were later let back into the building but the Full Moon Party which had been due to kick off at 8pm has been cancelled. Staff at the Core Corby put a message on their social media channels saying that the DJ event has been cancelled due to ‘unforeseen circumstances’.

Other outside events had also been cancelled earlier this evening because of high winds.
Ticket holders will be refunded.