MEET KGH'S GOVERNORS: Nominated governor tells us how Age UK Northamptonshire supports KGH
Since December 2018, the charity has been supporting KGH with admission, discharge and dementia services
One of KGH's governors has told us about the invaluable support Age UK Northamptonshire provides to the hospital.
The governors at KGH have teamed up with the Northants Telegraph to give our readers an insight into their role and the work they do.
Sue Watts, business development director for Age UK Northamptonshire and nominated Governor at KGH, has written the latest in a series of pieces about the governors which we will be bringing to you in the coming weeks.
Her article is about Age UK Northamptonshire.
Sue told the Northants Telegraph: "Age UK Northamptonshire provides a wide range of services across all areas of Northamptonshire.
"A local, independent charity with 60 years of proud service provision, we currently have 15,678 active clients with 4,147 new clients in the last financial year.
"Since December 2018, we have been supporting Kettering General Hospital with admission, discharge and dementia services, although support on the wards is limited currently due to Covid."
Here's how the charity has helped with discharge and responding to urgent referrals from KGH:
- Chaperoning for appointments, deep cleans, key safes and personal alarms, shopping, working with the housing team
- Settling patients at home
- Working alongside the Frailty Team
- Working with key teams based in and across the hospital
It also has a minibus Service (Monday to Saturday 11am to 7pm):
- Approximately 50 people taken home by Age UK Northamptonshire minibus each week
- Settling patients at home – turn heating on, reactivate personal alarm, make tea, unpack bags, contact relatives, referrals for further support
It has a call back service:
- Follow up patients recently discharged
- Check they are managing daily living activities
- Check support systems
- Check medication, prevent falls and other issues
And there are its community services:
- Short term practical support
- Same day referral follow up
- Seek to establish longer term solutions
- Support for accessing benefits and paid for services
- Encouraging and facilitating independence
For more information about Age UK Northamptonshire, call 01604 611200 or email [email protected]
To read the previous piece from the governors, click here.
And if you have a question for the KGH governors, email it to [email protected]