Northamptonshire firefighters warning after burning toast does THIS to a kitchen
Investigators find jammed bread started fire which spread to cupboards
Shocked Northamptonshire firefighters have delivered a stern warning after seeing a slice of toast destroy a kitchen.
Investigators into a recent blaze confirmed a thick slice of hand-cut bread got stuck, causing a toaster to jam in the 'on' position.
The burning bread eventually caught fire, setting light to kitchen cupboards above the toaster and leading to a blaze which caused thousands of pounds worth of damage.
Working smoke alarms prevented fire spreading to the rest of the property, allowing the occupants to call 999 and escape without injury.
But a spokesman for Northamptonshire Fire & Rescue said: "We would always advise people to avoid leave toasters unattended like this.
"And any items which can be accidentally knocked and turned on — like toasters and kettles — it's always important to switch them off and unplug them when not in use.
"Many of us keep our toaster on a kitchen worktop that has cupboards above it. So, if possible, pull the toaster forward before using it so that it's clear of the underside of the cupboards above."
Message from the editor:
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
In order for us to continue to provide trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper while out for your essential shopping.
Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the highest standards in the world. The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper.