Increase in primary school pupils getting first-choice school in Northamptonshire
More than 8,200 children will get their first choice of primary school in Northamptonshire despite an increase in the number of applications, according to figures released today.
Northamptonshire County Council said 90.5 percent got their first choice, up by 250 on last year’s figures.
The proportion of families who have been allocated one of their three preferences has also increased this year, from 97 percent last year to 97.6 percent.
Northamptonshire County Council will post letters today (Monday) telling parents which school they have been offered, while the 96.4 percent per cent of families who applied online can check their offer on the council’s website today at www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/admissions.
Councillor Matthew Golby, county council cabinet member for learning, skills and education, said: “I’m delighted that today we’ve been able to offer an increasing number of families a place at their preferred primary school, in spite of an ever growing number of children requiring a school place in Northamptonshire.
“This is testament to the hard work of our school admissions team and to the county council’s commitment to creating more school places across the county.
“We are continuing to work with our academy and free school partners to ensure there are sufficient school places to ensure children have the chance to attend their local school.”
Any families who are unhappy with the place they have been allocated can appeal through the independent appeals process.
Late applications received after the closing date of January 15 will be allocated a primary school place in subsequent allocation rounds in May and June.