House on Corby’s Kingswood estate goes up in flames after clothes left too close to heater

The family has been left homeless - but escaped safely from the fire

Sunday, 14th March 2021, 11:13 pm
A stairwell and bathroom shown ravaged by the fire. Image: Northants Fire and Rescue
A stairwell and bathroom shown ravaged by the fire. Image: Northants Fire and Rescue

A Corby family managed to escape a blaze that has caused serious damage to their home.

Fire crews from Corby and Kettering were called to the incident in Holyrood Walk at about 6pm tonight and roads nearby were shut.

Smoke and fire damage has caused extensive damage to the house and a fire

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The house suffered extensive damage. Image: Northants Fire and Rescue

Firefighters believe that the blaze was sparked by clothes left too close to an electric heater.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the building to try to prevent the fire spreading to a neighbouring home.

Watch Commander Douglas who was managing the incident said: “The family are very lucky to have noticed the fire so quickly, a few minutes more it could have been a completely different story.

“We believe the fire was caused by an electric heater that was being used on the upper floor, to dry items of clothing and we strongly advise against this.”

It was also reported that there was no evidence of smoke detectors fitted in the home.

There were no injuries reported.

Home fire safety visits are still available, compliant with government guidelines by visiting the fire service’s website.