FA CUP: Solkhon on the spot for Poppies but Steelmen bow out

Brett Solkhon scored a hat-trick of penalties as Kettering Town booked their place in the fourth qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 4-0 victory over Hednesford Town at Latimer Park.

Saturday, 6th October 2018, 5:37 pm
Updated Saturday, 6th October 2018, 5:44 pm
Brett Solkhon celebrates scoring on of his three penalties as Kettering Town beat Hednesford Town 4-0 in the fourth qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup. Pictures by Peter Short

The first of those spot-kicks came after 14 minutes when Lindon Meikle was brought down by Callum Mendez-Jones with Solkhon firing home to the goalkeeper’s left.And the advantage was doubled just past the half-hour as, this time, Rhys Hoenes was hauled down by Joe Fitzpatrick with Solkhon going the same way from 12 yards.Hednesford came back into it after the break with Paul White clawing Reece King’s header away before recovering to save the rebound from Lewis Archer.And Kettering took full advantage as they made it 3-0 with Solkhon completing his unique treble from 12 yards after Dion Kelly-Evans was fouled in the area.The win was rounded off three minutes from the end when substitute Andrea Borg converted Lindon Meikle’s excellent cross.The Poppies will now be in the hat for the final qualifying round with the draw taking place on Monday lunchtime.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Corby Town’s fine run in this season’s FA Cup was ended as they went down 3-0 at Vanarama National League North side Stockport County.Nearly 200 Steelmen fans roared their team on at Edgeley Park and they saw their side hold the hosts in a goalless first half with Dan George making fine saves to deny Nyal Bell and Matthew Warburton while Joel Carta fired wide with Corby’s best opening.But Stockport kept the pressure on an Sam Warburton cleared an Ash Palmer header of the line before the deadlock was broken when Matthew Warburton’s deflected effort finally beat George.It was 2-0 just four minutes later when Frank Mulhern was played in by Scott Duxbury before rifling home.Gary Mulligan forced home goalkeeper Ben Hinchliffe into a good save with 12 minutes to go.But Stockport rounded it off with eight minutes to go when Mulhern latched on to Matthew Warburton’s cross and fired home.

Andrea Borg and the Poppies supporters enjoy the moment after he grabbed the fourth goal at Latimer Park