Victim awarded compensation after Kettering nightclub GBH

The attacker was spared from prison

By Sam Wildman
Friday, 14th February 2020, 3:36 pm
Updated Sunday, 16th February 2020, 8:29 pm

A peacemaker left with a broken jaw after he was punched at a Kettering nightclub has been awarded £1,200 in compensation.

The man stepped in when one of his friends got into an argument with a friend of Corby man, Michael Duroe, in the smoking area of Bar Seven in Carrington Street at about 2.20am on January 20 last year.

Today (Friday) Northampton Crown Court heard he tried to calm the situation down but was pushed by Duroe, 32, before door staff separated them.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

But Duroe, of Westbury Walk, returned and punched him in the side of his face, knocking him off his feet.

Prosecuting, Jonathan Eley said: "He just lashed out."

It was only when the victim woke up in "extreme pain" that he realised the severity of his injuries and went to hospital where it was found he had a fractured jaw.

Fortunately he did not require surgery but the court heard the incident had left him "worried and scared" and he was unable to eat anything solid for two weeks.

He was told his jaw may never heal completely and he has lost confidence.

In a victim statement read out in court, he said: "When I do go out in Kettering I feel I am taking a risk."

He added: "I feel as though I am looking over my shoulder all the time."

Duroe, who has previous convictions for battery, harassment and stalking, later admitted GBH and sobbed throughout today's court proceedings.

When interviewed by police he implied it was self defence and was "shocked" to find out how serious his victim's injury was.

He told police: "I personally did not intend to cause any harm. I am seriously sorry if I have."

Mitigating, Clare Dowse said Duroe was remorseful and had made positive progress with the probation service, handing the judge a glowing reference from his manager.

She said: "He accepts that he should not have got into this argument.

"He should have walked away from it and it was completely wrong to punch the way he did."

Judge Rebecca Crane told Duroe that he would have received a custodial sentence had the case had gone to trial.

She spared him prison because of his remorse and progress with probation workers.

Duroe thanked the judge as he left the dock after being sentenced to a community order with 100 hours of unpaid work and rehabilitation activities, as well as the compensation.