Police warn Northamptonshire parents after finding sweets laced with cannabis

Officers seized a quantity of these sweets in transit to an address in Kettering last month

By Megan Hillery
Thursday, 6th May 2021, 3:56 pm
Updated Thursday, 6th May 2021, 3:58 pm

Northamptonshire Police are warning parents about the dangers of cannabis-laced sweets after police in Surrey reported four children were recently hospitalised after ingesting them.

This is the second warning police have issued after the sweets - also called 'edibles - were traced back to an address in Kettering last month.

Detective Chief Inspector Gan Thayanithy, the local policing lead for the north of the county, said: "These sweets may look innocuous but they are particularly dangerous as they’re unregulated and there’s no way of knowing the levels of cannabis they contain.

Police are warning parents to look out for THC or CBD on the packaging in their children's sweets. Image: Northamptonshire Police

"In fact, some have been discovered to also contain MDMA, which is a Class A drug because of its harmful effects on health."

According to Northamptonshire Police, children known to have consumed these edibles have suffered side effects such as vomiting, dizziness, panic attacks and unconsciousness.

DCI Gan Thayanithy added: “I urge parents and carers to make their children aware of this issue and also to be mindful of the possible food packaging/wrappers with wording such as CBD or THC suggesting items are cannabis oil infused, as pictured [see picture below]

"Please be mindful of the medical needs should your child present with symptoms, or if it becomes apparent they have consumed a drug-laced substance.”

Anybody with any information should report it to Northamptonshire Police on 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. If you or a member of your family are concerned about drugs or drug addiction, information and advice is available on the Talk To Frank website.