Police linking Irchester attempted murder to incident outside Wellingborough pub

Three men have already been charged

By Sam Wildman
Friday, 24th January 2020, 12:33 pm
Updated Friday, 24th January 2020, 12:35 pm

An attack which left four people stabbed is believed to be linked to a disturbance outside a Wellingborough pub, police have said.

Three people are in custody after the attempted murder at the Gypsy Lane caravan site in Gipsy Lane, Irchester, at about 4.40am on New Year's Day.

Officers investigating the incident now say they believe it is connected to a disturbance a couple of miles away in Wellingborough about two hours earlier.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The Horseshoe.

A police spokesman said: "Officers would like to speak to anyone who may have dash-cam footage of the disturbance outside The Horseshoe pub in Sheep Street, between 2am and 2.45am on New Year’s Day.

"Anyone who may have footage, or has any information which could help with this investigation – no matter how insignificant they think it may be – is asked to call Northamptonshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 20000000784.

"Alternatively, if they prefer to remain anonymous, they can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111."

After the Irchester incident one man was taken to University Hospital Coventry with stab wounds to his face and neck and multiple injuries including a broken leg.

A female victim was taken to the same hospital with a stab wound to her torso. Two other men were also transported to Northampton General Hospital with stab wounds.

Bernard Joseph McDonagh, 19, of Markfield in Leicestershire, is in custody charged with attempted murder and causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Patrick McDonagh, 36, also of Markfield in Leicestershire, has been charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of an offensive weapon.

John Paul McDonagh, 37, of Markfield in Leicestershire, was charged with attempted murder and causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

They are due to appear in court later this month. A fourth man, aged 59, was also arrested in connection with the stabbings. He has been released on bail.