Mum caught Northampton man sending inappropriate messages by pretending to be her young daughter on social media

Forty-seven-year-old man messaged the girl and said: "Promise that you won't go telling that we've chatted. I could get into serious trouble."

Tuesday, 16th March 2021, 9:52 am

A mum had a Northampton man arrested after replying to a string of inappropriate messages he sent to her young daughter.

Pablo Jarrett, formerly of Abington, was arrested in December 2019 for messaging the girl over social media.

The 47-year-old made a series of lewd comments before asking the girl to delete the texts because "he could get in trouble".

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A Northampton man sent a series of inappropriate messages to a young girl - but he didn't realise he was really speaking to her mum. Picture posed by a model.

What he did not know was that the girl's mum had an app on her own phone that let her see what sort of chats her daughter was receiving - at which point she replied while pretending to be the girl.

The exchange of texts was read out at his sentencing at Northampton Crown Court yesterday (March 15).

The 47-year-old wrote to her: "It's pretty bad that I like you - there's a bad name for it.

"Promise that you won't go telling that we've chatted. I could get into serious trouble."

But the next day, Jarrett found out he had been messaging the girl's mother the entire time after police arrived on his doorstep.

He later denied the messages were sexually motivated in two separate police interviews, but pleaded guilty in court.

Her Honour Judge Rebecca Crane told him in sentencing: "You clearly knew you were communicating in an inappropriate way with a young girl.

"You asked her to unsend the messages and instructed her how to do it.

"You put forward in your defence that you 'lost reality with who you were speaking to' but you knew full well this was a young girl."

The court heard Jarrett, now of Wellingborough Road, Rushden, has since moved away from Northampton.

He was sentenced to a 24-month community order, with 30 days of rehabilitation requirement and 80 hours of unpaid work.