David Brickwood trial: Prosecution rests in Northampton murder trial after just five days of evidence

The defence's case for why Cameron St Rose is innocent of the unsolved Northampton murder begins tomorrow

Tuesday, 27th April 2021, 5:13 pm
Updated Tuesday, 27th April 2021, 5:16 pm
Several tributes to David Brickwood heard in court said the 74-year-old was a "kind, generous man" who had "a heart of gold".

A prosecutor has finished his evidence in the case against a 26-year-old London man accused of the unsolved murder of Northampton's David Brickwood.

David Brickwood was stabbed to death at his home in Lindsay Avenue in a late night attack on September 26, 2015.

The case has gone unsolved for more than five years.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Now, the case against a man who allegedly left his DNA at the scene during the attack has finished after just five days of evidence.Cameron St Rose, of Bristol Street, Forest Gate, is accused of allegedly breaking into the grandfather-of-10's home in Lindsay Avenue in September 2015 and fatally stabbing him in a search for cash.He allegedly entered the property by entirely removing the glass pane from a ground floor window and climbing in, before breaking into the 74-year-old's locked master bedroom and attacking him.

"This is the key piece of evidence that proves this defendant is guilty," said prosecutor Mr Peter Grieves-Smith QC on the first day of the trial.

"The way in which that window was removed is at the heart of the case.

"It is the prosecution's case that this defendant removed that window pane, slipped in through the empty frame, forced entry to Mr Brickwood's bedroom and murdered him."

St Rose denies both charges of murder and burglary.

At Birmingham Crown Court today (April 27), the jury was told they they had heard all the evidence against the 26-year-old after just five days of sitting.

Defence barrister Mr Timothy John Maloney is expected to make his case for why St Rose is innocent tomorrow (April 28).

The jury has heard evidence that there were at least two intruders on the night of the attack. A second suspect has never been identified.

On the first day of the trial on April 20, the jury heard how Mr Brickwood "didn't trust the banks" and had nearly £60,000 in cash stashed away in his house at the time of his death.

The prosecutor also told the jury: "In some cases there are eye witnesses to a crime. This isn't such a case.

"This case is based on circumstantial evidence [...] but the prosecution says it is very good and compelling evidence."

An inquest later heard the popular scrap metal dealer, who was described as a “pillar of the Abington community” by a neighbour, suffered 35 separate injuries, including multiple stab wounds.

David initially survived the attack and was able to call the police. Officers performed emergency first aid in an attempt to save the 74-year-old’s life, however, he died a short time later at Northampton General Hospital.

The trial continues.