Corby thug spared from prison after horror knife attack

He left his victim with serious injuries

By Sam Wildman
Tuesday, 20th April 2021, 7:00 am
Police at the scene when Marshall was arrested.
Police at the scene when Marshall was arrested.

A Corby thug left his ex-girlfriend's new partner with a horrific 24cm gash on his head in an armed attack.

Jordan Marshall, 30, saw red when he spotted his victim's car outside her home and picked up a knife, initially intending to slash his tyres.

Instead he attacked him outside the Corby home, leaving him with serious injuries which required surgery.

Marshall, of Warkton Way, faced up to five years in prison after he was convicted of causing grievous bodily harm without intent.

But he was spared from jail after a judge heard about the time he had spent on remand, his remorse and desire to be rehabilitated and the impact a further custodial sentence would have on him.

Yesterday (Monday) Northampton Crown Court heard Marshall's ex-girlfriend and her new partner had planned to go to a fireworks display on November 2, 2019. Marshall drove past her home and asked her whose car was parked outside - before telling her her new boyfriend was to stay away and threatening to kill him.

The thug later returned armed with a 'very sharp' Don Carlos knife at about 6pm and attacked his victim as he stood by his car.

The court heard the victim ducked but Marshall still caught him, leaving him with a 24cm wound to his scalp which ran from near his forehead to the back of his neck.

A scuffle on the ground followed which left Marshall's victim with a further 4cm cut to his arm and a 3cm cut to his torso.

Her Honour Judge Rebecca Crane said: "It's made him fearful to go out."

As Marshall left the scene he made further threats before throwing the knife in a garden. He was arrested the following day in Collingwood Avenue.

The court heard he had convictions for 26 previous offences, including wounding in 2010 and battery in 2013.

Mitigating, Sebastian Walker said Marshall had worked hard to try and change his life but still made bad decisions.

He said: "It was the stupidest thing he has ever done."

He added that Marshall had spent 135 days in custody on remand before he was bailed, spending a further 367 days wearing a tag ahead of yesterday's hearing.

Judge Crane sentenced Marshall to two years in prison, suspended for two years.

He was told he would have to take part in rehabilitation activities, complete 80 hours of unpaid work and pay his victim £1,200 in compensation for his ongoing serious injuries.

Marshall was cleared by a jury of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and perverting the course of justice.