Burton Latimer thug battered cyclist...before shaking his hand, mopping up his blood and adding him on Facebook

His behaviour completely changed when he was told he would be reported to the police

Wednesday, 12th May 2021, 7:30 am
Danny Walsh has been jailed.

A thug beat a cyclist black and blue on the outskirts of Burton Latimer - before turning on the charm offensive when he was told he would be arrested.

Danny Walsh landed several blows to his victim's face and placed him in a chokehold after the pair had remonstrated with each other on a country lane.

When the cyclist said he would be going to the police Walsh's behaviour completely changed, shaking his victim's hand and mopping blood from his face.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But the violence left the victim in hospital and Walsh, 26, facing a charge of causing grievous bodily harm without intent.

His Honour Judge Rupert Mayo said: "You terrified the life out of him."

Yesterday (Tuesday) at Northampton Crown Court Walsh was jailed for one year and nine months.

The court heard the cyclist was riding his bike in Wold Road on July 16 last year when he noticed a dark vehicle approaching from behind after he served to avoid a cat. The vehicle's front passenger - Walsh - put his arm out of the window and made offensive gestures.

Prosecuting, Matthew Rowcliffe said the cyclist noticed the car parked up shortly after and started recording on his mobile phone because he was concerned about what might happen.

The pair argued with each other before Walsh got out of the vehicle and punched him in the face, going on to strike about four further blows.

When the victim fell to the floor Walsh knelt down and placed him in a chokehold, continuing to punch him as he tried to retaliate in front of other bystanders.

The court heard Walsh, of Ashby Close in Burton Latimer, asked him why he "had to be a big man" and record him.

But when the victim told him he could get him arrested Walsh's behaviour suddenly changed.

Mr Rowcliffe said: "He shook the victim's hand and apologised...he took off his shirt and tried to mop up the blood.

"He said he could add the victim on Facebook and that they were mates."

Walsh, who is due to be sentenced by magistrates next week for an unrelated burglary, did later add him on Facebook and asked him why he had involved the police.

The victim was taken to KGH having lost consciousness and had bruising and swelling to his eye, cuts on his face and swelling and grazes on his forehead.

He has since suffered from anxiety and low self-esteem, the court heard. The incident left his bike and a tablet computer in his bag damaged, with a repair bill of just over £400.

Mr Rowcliffe said: "He had enjoyed going to Burton Latimer, but will not go there again."

Walsh, who has convictions for 14 previous offences, was later interviewed by police and gave no comment answers before reading a prepared statement, in which he denied any intention to cause serious injury.

Mitigating, Liam Muir said pot-washer Walsh struggles with his mental health and had finally started to rebuild his life having previously lost his job.

He urged the case for the sentence to be suspended so he could be rehabilitated.

Mr Muir said: "Intervention can reap substantial rewards."

But Judge Mayo ruled Walsh's brutal attack was so serious he had to be put behind bars.

He said: "In my judgement this is a sentence that should not and cannot be suspended."

Walsh was told he would serve half of his 21-month sentence in custody before being released on licence.

A restraining order was also made, banning him from contacting the victim.