Northamptonshire security guard beats sepsis, Covid-19 and pneumonia

Former captain of Delapre Golf Club Jeremy Clough is making a steady recovery in hospital.Former captain of Delapre Golf Club Jeremy Clough is making a steady recovery in hospital.
Former captain of Delapre Golf Club Jeremy Clough is making a steady recovery in hospital.
"All the doctors and nurses can't believe he's here as he had sepsis, Covid-19 and pneumonia... and pulled through"

Former Delapre Golf Club captain, Jeremy Clough, 47, from Earls Barton, was rushed into Northampton General Hospital on March 26 by ambulance with suspected sepsis.

Paramedics - who arrived within ten minutes of receiving the blue light call - said if his family had not called the ambulance service he would not have survived another 48 hours.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The supermarket security guard was suffering from an "upset stomach" for a couple of days ahead of being admitted into hospital and had a high temperature for one day but put it down to having muscular dystrophy. Doctors told him to self-isolate incase it was coronavirus but they were not sure.

Jeremy was diagnosed with sepsis by paramedics on the same day he was admitted to hospital.

But he was not told until four days later that he also had pneumonia and tested positive for Covid-19.

His sister, Nicola, said: "He was sedated and put on a ventilator when he went into hospital and doctors said 'he has a fight'.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"He also has a mild form of muscular dystrophy so it didn't look good.

"We had a phone call from the hospital to say he was seriously ill and we were to prepare for the worst as he wouldn't make it."

Jeremy, who was in a critical condition, was sedated for four weeks while on a ventilator before he was given a tracheostomy.

She added: "The staff clearly saved him, they are amazing.

"Through all of this we couldn't see him, which for me and my parents was difficult but the hospital intensive care unit was given iPads and we were able to have video calls.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"They would always do this when he was awake and he would respond to us by smiling, giving a thumbs up, or a wave as he couldn't talk. They then slowly taught him, with a device in the tracheotomy, to say simple words. We got 'hello' and 'Milo', which is our dog.

"The staff comforted Jeremy the whole time he was in the coronavirus ward, especially when he got emotional when we had a video call, which should be our job to do."

Jeremy, who's been given the all clear, moved out of the Covid-19 ward two weeks ago and is learning to sit and stand again while still receiving breathing support.

"We long the day he can come home but know it will be a long road," Nicola said. "We hear all these stories in the newspapers and my brother has been through so much more.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"My parents and I long so much for the day we see our brother and son again but sadly we know it will be a while.

"After six weeks he's still in hospital fighting. I am amazed at the support he's had from staff at the hospital and I can't thank them in person, although I would love to."

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.