Oundle still not happy despite enjoying 13

Rugby: Wellingborough (white strip) v Market Harborough
Rugby: Wellingborough (white strip) v Market Harborough

Despite running in 13 tries in their 89-7 victory over Westwood, Oundle still believe they have more to come in Midlands Four East (South).

As head coach Peter Croot said: “A 13-try haul should make any team pleased, but both players and coaches knew this was not the performance we were looking for.”

Rugby: Wellingborough (white strip) v Market Harborough

Rugby: Wellingborough (white strip) v Market Harborough

Right from the start the power of the Oundle pack was obvious with big runners Dan Burns, Tom Laxton and Seb Whitehouse tearing into a brave Westwood defence.

But the home side competed well at the breakdown, and their back row proved difficult to remove from the ball.

Oundle kept it tight for 10 minutes and were rewarded with a pick-and-drive try from hooker Sean Murray, converted by man-of-the-match George Swallow.

Once superiority was gained territory wise, Oundle started to release their backs and on 16 minutes Toby Snelling scored in a typically abrasive manner again converted by Swallow.

Rugby: Wellingborough (white strip) v Market Harborough

Rugby: Wellingborough (white strip) v Market Harborough

Another Colt, Matt Faulder was then on the mark and it was again converted by Swallow who was successful adding the extras to 12 out of the 13 tries.

The tries continued to come - although they could not register a blank at the other end as Westwood crossed for a soft score,

In all Burns (3), Toby Snelling (3), Lewis Still (2), Matt Faulder (2), Simon New, Chris Woodford and Murray all got their names on the scoresheet with Swallow’s almost faultless boot making the final outcome even more convincing.

Not that there was any backslapping going on.

Rugby: Wellingborough (white strip) v Market Harborough

Rugby: Wellingborough (white strip) v Market Harborough

Croot added: “I think we had ideas on next week, and the early kick off seemed to unsettle us.

“We are looking forward to the challenge of unbeaten St Ives next week and players will need to perform.

“I would say we had an off day. But to score 89 points has to show what we will be capable of, when we get it right.

“The decision making was good, but the execution was poor and the lads would say the same.”

The seconds were also in devastating form as they crushed Dunstablians 3rd 62-7.

Gareth Jacob led the way with five tries while Jon Roughley, Sean Murray, Simon Hudson, Jamie Houghton, Reuben Green also touched down.

The under-18s made it a hat-trick by beating BBOBs 19-14.

The pains continued for Corby as even the first game on their new pitch could not give them any advantage.

They started the game with some good forward work and were unfortunate to go behind in the fourth minute when St Ives earned themselves a penalty.

The game was evenly balanced until the 20th when St Ives scored their first converted try.

This opened the floodgates and some poor tackling from the home side allowed their visitors to push the score up to 34-0.

The half hour after the break is one the Corby players would want to forget.

They simply gave the game away beyond doubt with some sub-standard tackling which allowed St Ives to rack up the points with five converted tries.

Corby rallied in the last 10 minutes but were unable to put any points on the scoreboard and lost 65-0.

Manager Ricky Egan said: “This was a horrible game to watch.

“All that we do in training just fell apart on Saturday.

“The tackling on the first ball carrier was almost non existent and this gave St Ives the advantage they needed to allow their centres to take control of the game.

“Although we steadied the ship in the last 10 minutes of the game I have to say the performance simply wasn’t good enough.”

Wellingborough went down to Market Harborough in Midlands Two East (South) but can be proud of their second-half display.

They bossed proceedings after the break but, as they were already trailing 18-6 and neither side were able to add a score, the final whistle went with the score as it had been after 40 minutes.

It was, however, a vast improvement on previous weeks.

Two Tom Mair penalties were all the Cut Throat Lane lads had to show for their efforts.

The seconds lost 26-23 away to Spalding in a pulsating game that saw the lead change hands many times.

The thirds were also away, at Leighton Buzzard, and lost 55-9.

The under-18 girls lost at home to Worcester but the under-15s beat Melbourne girls 39-10.