Four from four keeps S&L top of the table

editorial image
Share this article

Stewarts & Lloyds continued their 100 per cent start to the season as they brushed aside Men’s Own 33-3.

The Occupation Road side are now four from four in Midlands Three East (South) and top the table on points difference from Stockwood Park.

And although they have picked up just a single try bonus point so far their exceptional defence - they have conceded only 20 so far - has given them the base to keep winning.

In the section above, there was a convincing win for Wellingborough who have moved up to third in Midlands Two East (South).

Performing in front of a lot of their predecessors who had attended the Past Players’ Lunch, the current crop of Boro men put on a real show as they demolished Old Scouts 57-20.

Steven Gall and Tom Bryan both touched down twice while joining them on the scoresheet was Paul Lambert, Matt McPherson and Andy Seaton.

Pete Vickers contributed five conversions and four penalties in a personal tally of 22 points.

Things did not go so well for Rushden & Higham, however.

The early-season struggles following promotion continued as Market Harborough proved too strong.

Rushden had led early on with a couple of tries but their visitors came good as the game wore on and ran out 41-20 victors.

The first league meeting between Kettering and Bugbrooke ended in a Midlands One East defeat for the Blues.

It was a cracking encounter, though, with both sides producing some running rugby in a match that finished 36-30 to the men from the south of the county.

In Midlands Four East (South), Oundle remain within striking distance of top spot after a comfortable victory over Westwood.

They travelled the short distance to their Peterborough opponents and returned with a 43-0 success.

A bonus point was in the bag before the break as Lewis Robinson, Jack Sharpley, Ben Wilson and Will Parker all crossed to score.

Chris Sheldon and Ed Saunders added their names to the list after the break before Robinson wrapped things up with 10 minutes remaining.

Lee Green converted four of the tries.

Head coach Peter Croot said: “Coach Pete Croot was happy that the side had achieved the two objectives for the day, a clean sheet and a bonus point.

“This was a good game for us to relax, and credit to Westwood they were dogged in defence and proved a handful in many aspects.

“They will need to stick to their principles and keep moving forward and I am sure points will come.”

Things improved for Corby although they were unable to get their first win of the season.

They recovered from the hammering they suffered a week earlier to put in a respectable display against Aylestone Athletic but ultimately lost 38-21.