Rangers move into the last four of Borough Trophy

Lauren Ainsworth helped Rothborough Phantoms easily overcome Harborough Imps in the second round of the Points Cup
Lauren Ainsworth helped Rothborough Phantoms easily overcome Harborough Imps in the second round of the Points Cup

Harborough Rangers have booked their place in the semi-finals of the the Kettering & District Table Tennis League’s Borough Trophy after a 7-2 win over Corby E.

Dan Bottrill’s 21-18, 21-15 win over Liam Burnham gave Corby a great start but Rangers took the next five games to secure a winning lead after six games.

Bottrill beat Steve Crook 21-9, 21-13 but Ross Campbell’s treble secured the victory.

Another struggling Division Two side Rothborough Gladiators are also impressing in the cups and ran out 5-3 victors over Division One club-mates Buccaneers.

Pete Ainsworth and Anthony Yeomans opened up a two-game lead with wins over Ivor Jones and Brett Owen but the game was levelled with victories for Luke Saywood and Jones.

Further successes for Owen and Ainsworth over Saywood and Sally Taylor again left the match poised for a thrilling climax at 3-3.

Yeomans took the seventh end with a 24-22, 22-20 win over Saywood.

The match was decided in game eight when Taylor easily beat Jones 21-16, 21-13 to record her only individual win on the night.

Harborough Diamonds’ 6-3 win over Rothborough Dakotas ensured their club would provide two of the semi-finalists.

The match was settled in game eight when previously unbeaten Sean Smith and Mike Brocklebank met with Brocklebank winning comfortably in straight games.

Results: Harborough Rangers 7 (Burnham (SCR) 2, Campbell (SCR) 3, Crook (SCR) 2) Corby E 2 (Bottrill (+12) 2), Rothborough Gladiators 5 (P Ainsworth (+13) 2, Yeomans (+10) 2, Taylor (+14)) Rothborough Buccaneers 3 (Jones (SCR), Owen (SCR), Saywood (+2)), Harborough Diamonds 6 (Coombs (+2) 2, Brocklebank (SCR) 3, Pearson (+2)) Rothborough Dakotas 3 (T Ravenscroft (2), Smith (+4)) 2.

Kettering Town A started well against Corby A in their Points Cup second-round clash.

After four games, Corby’s handicap lead of 40 had been reduced to a single point.

Star man Chris Haynes led the fight back and Town A never managed to overhaul Corby’s advantage and ran out winners by 18 points.

Captain Brian Wooding’s decision to rest his injured knee proved to be a master stroke as Westfield B’s trio of Matthew Rushton, Steve Hobbs and Sam Wildman produced a performance way above their league form to overcome Higham 412-342.

Westfield won 10 of the 18 ends played and only Higham’s skipper Richard Elliott managed to make inroads into their handicap advantage of 80 points.

On an adjoining table, club-mates Westfield C’s performance against Division One bottom side Corby D was just the opposite.

Keith McLaren set Corby on their way, taking 58 points in his first two games and this seemed to knock the stuffing out of Westfield. John Hunt and Stewart Abraham also showed form better than their league position would suggest and Corby D ran out easy winners by 81 points.

Keith Stockley replaced cup-tied Alan Tyler and turned in a match-winning performance for Thrapston Harriers against Corby C.

Kyle Murie, Stephen Woolston and Nigel Hunt made steady inroads into Harriers 140-point start but eventually fell 25 short.

Stockley was Harrier’s star and won two of his six ends and only dropped seven points on the night.

Rothborough Phantoms easily overcame Harborough Imps who played a weakened side with both Ron Palfrey and John McGowan missing.

Peter Rowbotham, Lauren Ainsworth and Luke Saywood never looked in danger of losing despite some consistent play by Jamie Burgess.

After the disappointment of losing their first cup match of the season two nights previously in the Borough Trophy, Corby E bounced back with a convincing 104-point defeat of Harborough Athletic.

Dan Bottrill was again their trump card with another convincing performance, taking 75 points off Premier Division players ranked 60 places above him.

Harborough Rangers’ hopes of a cup treble were dashed after losing a close game to Thrapston Kites.

The scores were level after nine singles had been played but Kites clinched the win with a hard fought doubles success.

Results: Corby E (+340) 524 (Bottrill 75/126, Brown 38/126, Billington 56/126) Harborough Athletic 420 (B Thompson 126/48, N Thompson 126/60, Allington 126/61), Kettering Town A 366 (Metcalfe 112/109, Fuller 118/93, Hawes 106/111) Corby A (+40) 384 (Arthur 96/120, O’Boyle 113/114, Haynes 104/102), Westfield C 420 (Dabev 126/66, N Bird 126/69, Smalley 126/45) Corby D (+340) 501 (McLaren 75/126, Hunt 46/126, Abraham 59/126), Westfield B (+80) 412 (Rushton 118/113, Hobbs 105/117, Wildman 109/112) Higham 342 (Harrison 113/116, Elliott 123/87, Nannery 106/129), Thrapston Harriers (+140) 439 (Burrows 67/126, Blantern 90/126, Stockley 111/118) Corby C 414 (Murie 117/98, Woolston 126/82, Hunt 127/88), Harborough Imps (+30) 322 (Burgess 104/115, Patmore 89/117, Lauder 67/126) Rothborough Phantoms 400 (Rowbotham 116/97, L Ainsworth 116/92, Saywood 126/71, Thrapston Kites beat Harborough Rangers , Burton C beat Corby B (forfeit).