UCL round-up - S&L and Wellingborough claim crucial victories

Wellingborough Town boss Craig Adams saw his side claim a vital 3-0 win over Sleaford
Wellingborough Town boss Craig Adams saw his side claim a vital 3-0 win over Sleaford

Stewarts & Lloyds and Wellingborough Town boosted their hopes of survival as both claimed crucial wins in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division.

Daren Young’s S&L side produced one of the eye-catching results of the day as they returned from fifth-placed Deeping Rangers with an excellent 2-1 victory.

David Sheridan put The Foundrymen in front after 27 minutes before Lewis Stone brought the hosts level 10 minutes later.

But Jamie O’Neill grabbed what proved to be the winner in the 66th minute as Young’s side moved six points clear of the relegation zone.

It was also another fine day for Craig Adams’ Doughboys as they secured a league double over Sleaford Town with a comprehensive 3-0 success at the Dog & Duck - a win that saw them move out of the bottom two.

The hosts made the crucial breakthrough in the last minute of the first half when Rob Parker was fouled in the area and Jason Taylor converted from the penalty spot.

Parker grabbed the second 15 minutes from the end and substitute Todd Sawko completed the scoring in the last minute after combining well with Jon Mitchell.

Desborough Town’s and Irchester United’s respective home matches against Huntingdon Town and Shepshed Dynamo were postponed.

Sileby Rangers finally claimed a win at Rothwell Corinthians as they moved eight points clear at the top of Division One with a 3-1 success.

Having been beaten twice by Corinthians in cup competitions this season, there was no mistake this time as Rob Foster struck twice inside the first 12 minutes.

Mark Redding added the third before half-time while Corinthians could only respond with a Marvin Hill goal early in the second period.

Eynesbury Rovers moved into second place after a 4-1 victory over Thrapston Town at Chancery Lane.

Jack Weedon put the visitors in front but Iain Blaikie brought Thrapston back on level terms before half-time.

But Lee Bassett restored Rovers’ lead three minutes into the second half and two goals from Tom Coles, the second of which was a spectacular overhead kick, secured the points.

NFA Junior Cup finalists Rushden & Higham halted a three-match losing run in the league with a 4-1 victory over struggling Wootton Blue Cross at Hayden Road.

Daryl Lawman gave the Lankies a half-time lead and Craig Harrower made it 2-0 early in the second half.

Wootton’s player-manager Charlie Standish pulled one back five minutes later but Lawman grabbed his second on the hour and veteran Ben Lord rounded it off late on.

Raunds Town were beaten 2-1 at Bourne Town, who are still unbeaten this year.

Mike Feeley put the hosts in front but the Shopmates drew level through Alex Wills seven minutes before the break.

However, the hosts won it 11 minutes from full-time with Andy Moss grabbing the crucial goal.

Bottom side Burton Park Wanderers saw their clash at high-flying Oadby Town called off.