UCL round-up - Desborough go seventh as Diamonds hit nine at Buckingham

Share this article

Desborough Town fought back from a goal down to beat AFC Kempston 2-1 at the Waterworks Field and move into seventh place in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division.

Ar Tarn fell behind after 13 minutes when Josh Bamford fired the visitors into the lead.

But the hosts levelled six minutes before half-time when Michael Byrne was fouled in the area by Dwane Cole-Parkes and Kevin Byrne stepped up to convert the penalty.

And the comeback was complete on 64 minutes when visiting defender Michael Stephenson gave his own goalkeeper no chance with a header from Kevin Byrne’s cross.

It was a bad day for the two other local Premier Division sides in action as Stewarts & Lloyds went down 2-1 at Peterborough Northern Star.

Daren Young’s side were not helped by having to play with 10 men throughout due to late call-offs. But they did take the lead after six minutes through Liam Boath.

However, the hosts turned it around before half-time as Andy Furnell levelled before Matt Cox completed the scoring on 25 minutes.

Wellingborough Town, meanwhile, suffered a 5-1 home defeat to leaders Holbeach United, who moved six points clear at the top.

Tommy Treacher opened the scoring and then added the second before Andy Tidswell and Jonny Allen put them 4-0 up at half-time.

Jason Taylor, who was making his debut for the Doughboys, pulled a goal back on 56 minutes but Allen completed the scoring with five minutes remaining.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds stole the headlines in Division One as they hammered Buckingham Town 9-0.

Jake Newman started the rout with Jake Gillingwater adding the second from Matt Gearing’s corner.

And it was 5-0 before the break as Alex Deakin, Gearing and Newman, with his second, all added further goals in the one-sided affair.

But Diamonds didn’t take their foot off the brake after half-time as Sean McBride added the sixth before Lance Allen converted Newman’s cut back.

Deakin added his second with six minutes to go and Chris Hope rounded off a terrific afternoon with the ninth.

While Diamonds were running riot on the road, so were high-flying Oadby as they thrashed Raunds Town 7-0 at Kiln Park thanks to goals from Ollie Brown-Hill (3), Jon Stevenson (2), Nick Pollard and Jake Duffy.

The local bragging rights went the way of Thrapston Town as they edged out Rothwell Corinthians 4-3 at Chancery Lane thanks to two late goals.

Luke Cummins and Iain Blaikie put the hosts 2-0 up but Ian Hay pulled one back for the visitors on the stroke of half-time.

And when Jake Bindley levelled and Eliot Roberts gave Corinthians the lead with five minutes to go, the points looked to be heading back to Rothwell.

However, Thrapston won it in dramatic style as Danny Darker made it 3-3 before Blaikie won it on 88 minutes.

There was also late drama at Hayden Road as Rushden & Higham suffered their first defeat in seven games.

Bugbrooke took the lead through Lee Wilson but Craig Harrower looked to have earned the Lankies a point with a 73rd-minute equaliser.

However, the Badgers won it with two minutes to go courtesy of Will Briscoe.

It was a bad day for Whitworth as they were undone by Harrowby United’s Martin Wormall, who scored all of his team’s goals in a 4-1 success.

New signing Leigh Chapman gave the Flourmen hope as he made it 2-1 but Wormall completed his four-goal haul for the hosts.