Three not enough as Corby are held

Corby v Halifax & wreath laying: Manager, Graham Drury.'07/01/12
Corby v Halifax & wreath laying: Manager, Graham Drury.'07/01/12

Corby Town seemed to have claimed the win they needed to ensure their Blue Square Bet North status was secured only to be pegged back by Workington.

Leading 3-1 with 20 minutes or so to go, it looked like the Steelmen were heading for a valuable three points.

But the visiting Reds would not lie down and they struck twice to take a point back to Cumbria with them.

Gregg Smith had the first clear-cut chance when he linked well with Gary King but his right-foot shot went wide.

Corby took the lead on 21 minutes when Workington failed to clear a corner. Aaran Taylor’s weak punch dropped to Andy Hall.

He scuffed his shot but it went to Leon Hibbert who used his knee to turn it goalwards, over the head of Taylor and a covering defender on the line, and into the net.

Hall had another good chance five minutes later when the ball again dropped for him when Workington made a mess of clearing. However, he scuffed his left-foot shot well wide.

Corby’s finishing was becoming wasteful. Hall led a counter-attack and put Paul Mayo clean through but he blasted over.

A warning came when Jordan Connerton showed some nice touches but his two chances to finish were both weak.

The warning was not heeded, though.

With 34 minutes gone, a couple of deft flicks sent Phil McLuckie into the area.

Mayo was a slowto close him down and the Workington midfielder was able to lift the ball past Nick Bennion to equalise.

David Hewson had an excellent chance which was blocked by Phil Gulliver and it needed the captain to cover again when Paul Malone was caught well out of position appealing for offside.

The Steelmen had the perfect start to the second half.

Just five minutes had elapsed when Gary King recovered from a poor first touch by producing a drag back to beat his man on the edge of the area.

His next touch was a thumping drive which flew over Taylor and into the goal for 2-1.

And it was three when Delroy Gordon was the only man in the area who was keen enough to get his head on to a free-kick from the left.

His effort looped up and across the line of a goalmouth left unguarded by the stranded Taylor.

There was no chance to relax, though. After Gary King was somewhat harshly adjudged to have committed a foul on the edge of the area, Mark Boyd stepped up curled home an excellent free-kick.

If Bennion could do nothing about the free-kick he was massively at fault for the equaliser.

Anthony Wright’s well-struck shot from around 40 yards was little more than an optimistic punt.

But Bennion merely hung out an arm, seemingly thinking it was going wide, only for the ball find the back of the net.

The keeper immediately hung his head in shame as the Workington players ran off in somewhat startled celebration.

It could have become even worse were it not for a fine block by Gulliver stopped Connerton tapping in after Corby were opened up again.

But it stayed at six goals were shared meaning the points were as well.

Corby: Bennion, Gordon, Mayo, Malone, Gulliver (c), Hibbert, Jones, Ozmen, G Smith, King, Hall. Subs: McGowan, Farden, Amory, J Smith, Malarkey.

Workington: Taylor, Andrews, Flynn, May, Wordsworth, Boyd, McLuckie, Hewson (c), Connerton, Arnison, Wright. Subs: Green, Rowntree, Berkeley, Sloan, Scott.

Referee: Adrian Holmes (Wakefield)

Goals: Hibbert (21 mins, 1-0), McLuckie (34 mins, 1-1), King (50 mins, 2-1), Gordon (60 mins, 3-1), Boyd (69 mins, 3-2), Wright (77 mins, 3-3).