Steelmen’s problems go on as Brackley cruise to derby success

Steelmen boss Ian Sampson
Steelmen boss Ian Sampson

Corby Town’s miserable start to the Blue Square Bet North campaign continued as they were well beaten by in-form Northamptonshire rivals Brackley Town at Steel Park.

The Steelmen were outclassed in the first half as Jon Brady’s side raced into a 3-0 lead at the break and Ian Sampson’s team were unable to provide a response, despite performing better in the second half

But a dreadful display in the first period proved so costly to the hosts, who have now conceded 13 goals in their first four matches.

They were sluggish in possession and gave the ball away far too easily and Brackley, who now have four wins out of four, were in no mood to let them off the hook.

The Steelmen lined up in a 5-3-2 formation and there was no place in the squad for striker Leon McKenzie.

And the early stages went to form as Brackley drew first blood on eight minutes.

A corner from the right was swung out to former Steelman Glenn Walker and he took a touch before beating Paul Walker with a fierce left-footed strike.

And if that was bad, it got worse for the hosts on 21 minutes when Owen Storey skipped past a challenge too easily after a short corner.

His cross found Josh Green who was completely unmarked and he made no mistake with a firm header.

The Steelmen struggled throughout the first half and visiting goalkeeper Krzysiek Zylski was never troubled.

And the home side’s problems were compounded by the third goal that killed the contest before half-time.

Paul Malone gave the ball away with a poor pass. It was sent out wide to Storey who beat Nathan Fox to the punch and then fired home a low shot. It was all-too easy.

Paul Walker made a fine save to deny substitute Marvin Robinson from point blank range early in the second half before Sampson threw on Josh Moreman and Sam Ives in an attempt to swing the game back in his side’s favour.

And it almost worked straight away as Moreman’s cross found the unmarked Avelino Vieira but he could only head against the crossbar.

Moreman forced Zylski into his first save of note with a low shot and he worked the visiting goalkeeper again after a neat turn got him away from Wayne Hatswell.

Former Corby striker Steve Diggin shot wide at the other end and then saw another effort deflected over the bar.

But Diggin did have his say as his cross was stabbed home from close range by Robinson as the Steelmen were well and truly finished off.

Moreman did force Zylski into another save before the end but Brackley were well worth the final scoreline as they took the local bragging rights in convincing style.

Steelmen (5-3-2): P Walker; Horne, Malone, Crowe, Briand (sub Kaziboni, 67 mins), Fox; Semple (sub Ives, 57 mins), Wedderburn, Webb; Vieira, Miller (sub Moreman, 57 mins). Subs not used: Richardson, McGowan.

Brackley (4-4-2): Zylski; Clifton (sub Corcoran, 80 mins), Green, Hatswell, McDonald; Storey, Odihamba, Solkhon, G Walker; Mulligan (sub Robinson, 41 mins), Winters (sub Diggin, 64 mins). Subs not used: Grimes, Nisevic.

Referee: Guy Stretton.

Goals: Walker (8 mins, 0-1), Green (21 mins, 0-2), Storey (39 mins, 0-3), Robinson (82 mins, 0-4).

Booking: Moreman (foul).

Attendance: 644.