Steelmen claim another impressive away win

FC Halifax Town v Corby Town'Paul Holden and Graham Drury
FC Halifax Town v Corby Town'Paul Holden and Graham Drury

Corby Town returned to winning ways in style in the Blue Square Bet North with a deserved 3-0 success at Hinckley United.

Andy Hall had an early shot saved for the Steelmen while Craig Farrell was wide at the other end for the hosts.

Hall was close again on the half-hour when his cross-shot just went wide with Jordan Smith unable to get a touch.

The Steelmen were largely the better side though, and took a deserved lead on 32 minutes when Delroy Gordon rose to head home Hall’s free-kick.

Andre Gray and Danny Newton both had shots saved for the Knitters just before half-time and Paul Malone had to clear off the line from substitute Tom Byrne’s cross-shot straight after the break.

Gary King volleyed narrowly wide for the Steelmen on 53 minutes and Smith was closer still soon after as his toe-poke beat the keeper but held up on the sticky pitch and the keeper was able to get back.

Byrne was close again just past the hour with a low drive that Chris Mackenzie had to turn away as the game opened up.

But despite Hinckley looking more threatening, Corby continued to create the better chances.

Smith was unable to get on the end of great cross by Gary King on 67 minutes and King then had a penalty shout turned down after he was bundled over by Haydn Hollis.

Smith was close again on 71 minutes with a low shot that was well saved by Knitters keeper Dan Haystead.

Mackenzie then made a fine save to tip over a shot from former Steelman Andy Gooding before King doubled Corby’s advantage on 85 minutes when he kept his head to round the keeper and roll the ball home.

And two minutes later, Hall made sure of the points when he tapped home into an empty net following a horrible mix-up between Haystead and Lloyd Kery.

Hinckley: Haystead; Kerry, Lister (sub Richards-Everton, 65 mins), Hollis, Flanagan; Belcher (sub Langham, 68 mins), Lavery, Gooding, Newton; Farrell (sub Byrne, h-t), Gray. Subs not used: Holt, Bragoli.

Corby: Mackenzie; Gordon, Gulliver, Malone, Mayo; McDonald (sub McGowan, 86 mins), Ozmen (sub Dossou, 77 mins), Towers, Hall (sub Farden, 90 mins); Smith, King. Subs not used: Jones, Bolt.

Referee: Jason Tyas.

Goals: Gordon (32 mins, (0-1), King (85 mins, 0-2), Hall (87 mins, 0-3).

Attendance: 503