Steelmen beaten at high-flying Guiseley

Corby Town v Boston United footy action: Graham Drury.'28/01/12
Corby Town v Boston United footy action: Graham Drury.'28/01/12

Corby Town slumped to a second successive defeat in the Blue Square Bet North as they lost 3-0 at title-chasing Guiseley.

After an even opening period, Guiseley were gifted the lead on 25 minutes when Steelmen keeper Nick Bennion came to collect a long ball forward but mis-judged the bounce.

The ball went over him and James Walshaw was able to touch the ball over the line, despite Paul Malone’s last-ditch attempt to clear it.

In terms of possession, the Lions deserved their lead but it was still tough for Corby to take as they otherwise kept the home side in check with a hard-working display.

However, with a more defensive 4-5-1 formation, they were unable to really threaten the Guiseley goal in the first half, save for one Jordan Smith shot wide on 15 minutes.

And their plans for getting back into it after the break went out of the window on 49 minutes when Malone brought down Andy Holdsworth in the box and Walshaw scored his second of the game from the spot.

Jones did finally get a shot on target for the Steelmen with a low drive on 56 minutes, while Bennion saved well from Ciaran Toner at other end.

Then on 65 minutes, Guiseley ended the game as a contest when Holdsworth headed home from close range from Walshaw’s cross.

The Lions were able to ease through the rest of the game after that as the Steelmen, looking tired and one-paced, were unable to make any further impact on the match.

Guiseley: Drench; Clark, Toner, Ellis, Merris; Baldry (sub Forrest, 66 mins), Ainge, Boshell, Holdsworth; Ellington (sub Price, 61 mins), Walshaw (sub Wilson, 88 mins). Subs not used: Burns, Giles.

Corby: Bennion; Gordon, Gulliver, Malone (sub Amory, 60 mins), Mayo; Hall, Ozmen (sub McGowan, 73 mins), Hibbert, Towers, Smith (sub Mullarkey, 69 mins); Jones. Subs not used: Farden, King.

Referee: Graeme Fyvie.

Goals: Walshaw (25 mins, 1-0), Walshaw pen (49 mins, 2-0), Holdsworth (65 mins, 3-0).

Attendance: 589