SATURDAY SPORT '“ Weir-Daley hits four for Poppies, Diamonds upset Coalville but Steelmen go out

Spencer Weir-Daley hit a four goals as Kettering Town cruised into the second qualifying round of the Buildbase FA Trophy with a 5-1 win over Market Drayton Town at Latimer Park.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 29th October 2016, 4:03 pm
Updated Monday, 31st October 2016, 8:52 am
All the details from this afternoon's local football action
All the details from this afternoon's local football action

Marcus Law made a number of changes with Paul Malone, Gary Mulligan and Lewis Hornby all returning to the starting line-up while Matthew Barnes-Homer was handed his full debut.

The Poppies took an early lead through Spencer Weir-Daley and went on to enjoy the better chances in the opening half without adding to that advantage.

But they did score again just before the hour and once again it was Weir-Daley who was on target.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

And the frontman completed his hat-trick to all-but end the contest five minutes later.

Will Whieldon pulled one back for the visitors but almost immediately Weir-Daley grabbed his fourth of the afternoon.

And Weir-Daley then set up Nathan Hicks for the fifth as the Poppies completed a comfortable victory.

Jack Ashton’s second-half header was enough for AFC Rushden & Diamonds to upset higher-ranked opponents as they beat Coalville Town 1-0 at the Dog & Duck to book a place in the second qualifying round of the Buildbase FA Trophy.

It was an even first half with few chances although Diamonds forced Matt Coton into a couple of saves as he tipped an Ashton header over and then pushed away Nic Evangelinos’ shot late in the period.

Things livened up after the break and Matt Finlay pushed a Jack McMillan shot onto the bar and then saved well from Alex Troke before Diamonds went in front on the hour.

Evangelinos delivered a free-kick from the left and Ashton rose to power home a header at the far post.

Finlay made another good save to deny Karl Dimadh and Diamonds held on for a fine win, despite Troke shooting over from a good position late on.

Corby Town were dumped out of the Buildbase FA Trophy as Stafford Rangers claimed a 2-0 victory in the first qualifying round at Steel Park.

Assistant-manager David Bell made his first appearance for the Steelmen while James Jepson was also included in the starting line-up.

The first half was goalless but, after the Steelmen had an effort cleared off the line, Stafford opened the scoring on 69 minutes through Elliott Hodge.

And Stafford completed their win in stoppage-time when Josh Gordon added the second.