SATURDAY SPORT '“ Super Steelmen hit five, Diamonds halt their losing run but Poppies are held at home

Corby Town produced an incredible second-half fightback to earn a priceless 5-1 victory over relegation rivals Sutton Coldfield Town in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division at Steel Park.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 11th March 2017, 3:56 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:24 am
All the details from this afternoon's local football action
All the details from this afternoon's local football action

Gary Mills named an unchanged side for the third game in a row while former Steelmen Nathan Fox, Reece Webb and Ryan Robbins were included in the visitors’ line-up.

Sutton took the lead with their first attack as a good run from Matthias Curley ended with him finding the net with the aid of the inside of the post.

It was fairly even after that with James Wren tipping Joe Iaciofano’s downward header over the bar but Aidan Grant made a fine stop from David Howarth to keep it at 1-0.

Ben Milnes had a header cleared off the line by Michael Townsend but the Steelmen drew level on 52 minutes when Iaciofano found the top corner after being teed up by Phil Trainer.

The turnaround was complete 17 minutes later when Iaciofano bundled the ball home at the near post after a corner.

The game was over nine minutes from the end when substitute Connor Kennedy hammered home from close-range after Aaron Brown headed another Bell corner back into the danger area.

It was 4-1 when Iaciofano crossed from the right and Spencer Weir-Daley finished it off for his first goal since returning to the club.

And Corby rounded off a terrific second half when Aaron Brown headed home the fifth from yet another Bell corner.

Nabil Shariff scored a hat-trick as AFC Rushden & Diamonds ended their three-game losing run with a 4-1 Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One South

Shawn Richards was brought straight into the starting line-up following his return to the club while Andy Peaks recalled Shariff and included Ollie Brown-Hill.

There were positional changes as well with Ben Ford reverting to right-back, Brad Harris partnering Liam Dolman at the heart of the defence with Dan Quigley shifting into midfield.

Diamonds took an early lead when Shariff’s cross was headed home by Jack Bowen for his first goal since coming back to the club.

Shariff went from provider to scorer soon after as he doubled the lead from a Sam Brown long throw.

Shariff missed the chance to make it three when his penalty was saved after the hosts were penalised for a foul.

And Northwich won a penalty of their own before the break when Brad Harris was adjudged to handled in the area and Stu McDonald scored from the spot.

Diamonds restored their two-goal advantage in the second half when Shariff beat two men and then slotted past the goalkeeper to make it 3-1.

And Shariff rounded it off by completing his treble late on after rounding the goalkeeper.

Aaron O’Connor rescued a point for Kettering Town as they drew 1-1 with St Ives Town in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division at Latimer Park.

The Poppies were boosted by the return of James Haran after a long lay-off with a groin injury and he partnered Brett Solkhon in defence with youngster Jack O’Connor dropping to the bench.

Former Kettering man Josh Dawkin was included in the St Ives team with ex-Poppies striker Dubi Ogbonna among the substitutes.

During a goalless first half, Poppies goalkeeper Liam Gooch made a fine save to tip an effort onto the post while Kettering’s best chance saw Aaron O’Connor shoot just wide from a Nathan Hicks cross.

But it was the visitors who drew first blood eight minutes into the second half when Ben Seymour-Shove finished a good run with a well-placed shot past Gooch.

The Poppies equalised with seven minutes to go when James Brighton skipped past two players and then laid it off to O’Connor who fired home.