SATURDAY SPORT '“ Steelmen back to winning ways but Poppies lose at Weymouth

Corby Town got back to winning ways as they continued their bid for survival in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division with a comfortable 3-0 victory over rock-bottom Skelmersdale United at Steel Park.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 4th March 2017, 3:53 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:04 am
All the details from this afternoon's local football action
All the details from this afternoon's local football action

Gary Mills handed a first league start to Northampton Town youngster Joe Iaciofano after he scored when coming off the bench at Blyth Spartans last weekend while Spencer Weir-Daley and Michael Ogilvie were both named on the bench after returning to the club this week.

And the Steelmen didn’t take long to take control of the game.

They took the lead when, after a driving run from Ben Milnes, the ball broke kindly for Jordon Crawford and he finished it off with a shot into the far corner.

Crawford doubled his and Corby’s tally on 27 minutes when he slid in to score from a left-wing cross from Courtney Wildin and it was 3-0 before the break when Aaron Brown headed home David Bell’s free-kick at the far post.

There were further chances after the break with Aidan Grant producing a good save from Max Allan’s free-kick while, at the other end, Stefan Moore was denied by Chris Cheetam, who also did well to tip Iaciofano’s excellent chip over the crossbar.

Grant made an even better save to deny Ramirez Howarth but that preserved the clean sheet as Corby saw things out without any further scares.

Kettering Town slipped to a second successive defeat in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division as they went down 3-2 at Weymouth in a topsy-turvy encounter.

As expected, Liam Gootch made his debut in goal for the Poppies after joining on a youth loan deal from Luton Town with Paul White beginning a three-match suspension.

The Poppies fell behind on 14 minutes when Stuart Fleetwood headed home Jordon Copp’s cross.

But Kettering turned it round with two goals in the space of four minutes.

Brett Solkhon equalised when he fired home after the ball had been headed down in the box.

And then they went in front Aaron O’Connor tapped home at the near post.

Gootch made a good save to deny Copp in the second half but Weymouth made it 2-2 just past the hour when Copp converted from the penalty spot after a foul by Liam Canavan.

And disaster struck for the Poppies with three minutes to go when Stephane Zubar headed home what proved to be the winner.