Relegation fears increase for the Steelmen

Corby v Halifax & wreath laying: Manager, Graham Drury.'07/01/12
Corby v Halifax & wreath laying: Manager, Graham Drury.'07/01/12

CORBY TOWN saw their relegation fears heightened in the Blue Square Bet North as they lost 1-0 at home to Gloucester City.

In a scrappy game, the Steelmen’s final ball was often found wanting as the Tigers showed more fight to survive some late pressure from the hosts to hold on for the win.

Gary King had a great early chance for Corby but shot straight at the keeper from close in.

Andy Hall drove another shot wide soon after for the Steelmen but thereafter, the game became scrappy with both sides guilty of poor passing and a lack of cohesion.

Mark Jones was close again for the Steelmen on 23 minutes which Tigers keeper Lewis Carey saved with his feet.

At the other end, Nick Bennion saved superbly from Darren Mullings’ header on 27 minutes and leading scoring Darren Edwards fired wide from a good position a minute later.

Overall though, the first half was a low-key affair and both sides needed to improve.

Within five minutes of the restart, Gloucester did as a corner was only half-cleared and Matt Lock drove the ball home.

King should have levelled for Corby almost immediately but again shot straight at the keeper from close in.

Jones also should have done better on 56 minutes but took too long to get a shot away and saw his effort blocked.

The Tigers went close to doubling their lead on 66 minutes as Adam Mann’s shot was blocked and Edwards’ follow-up was saved.

Corby shuffled things around and went to 4-3-3 in a bid to find an equaliser.

And they so nearly had it on 89 minutes, but Delroy Gordon headed against the bar and Mike Green then blocked the ball on the line following an almighty scramble.

Corby: Bennion; Gordon, Gulliver, Towers, Mayo; Hall, Ozmen (sub Smith, h-t), Hibbert, McGowan (sub Malone, 73 mins); Jones, King (sub Mullarkey, 68 mins). Subs not used: Farden, Amory.

Gloucester: Carey; Green, Coupe, Hamblin, Rawlings, Webb, Bird (sub Mann, 58 mins), Mullings, Lock (sub Rose, 84 mins); Edwards (sub Lewis, 73 mins), Morford. Subs not used: Mustoe, Wilson.

Referee: Stephen Ross

Goals: Lock (50 mins, 0-1).

Attendance: 277