Poppies and Steelmen both hit three to stay on top

Lindon Meikle scored twice as Kettering Town continued their charge at the top of the Evo-Stik League South Premier Division Central with a 3-0 success at Needham Market.

Saturday, 3rd November 2018, 5:22 pm
Updated Saturday, 3rd November 2018, 5:26 pm
Aaron O'Connor hit his first goal of the season as Kettering Town won 3-0 at Needham Market

Aaron O’Connor added the other with his first goal of the season in his first start since recovering from a serious knee injury.

After a goalless first half, Meikle broke the deadlock, also with his first goal of the campaign, when he fired in low after a cross from Lathaniel Rowe-Turner.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

And O’Connor gave Marcus Law’s team breathing space when he volleyed home a superb ball in from Meikle.

But it was Meikle who had the final say in spectacular fashion when a cross from Rhys Hoenes was headed into his path and he fired home a long-range effort to wrap things up.

The Poppies are now three points clear at the summit as they now focus on their Southern League Challenge Cup second-round home clash with King’s Lynn Town on Tuesday night.

Corby Town hit three second-half goals to make it three home wins in a row as they beat Barton Rovers 3-0 at Steel Park.

The victory meant the Steelmen maintained their one-point advantage at the top of the Evo-Stik League South Division One Central.

Elliot Sandy had an effort ruled out for offside in the first half while Jordon Crawford hit the crossbar direct from a corner.

Jimmy Hartley struck a post for the visitors while Dan George had to produce a superb save early in the second half to keep the scoreline goalless.

But it was Corby who broke the deadlock on 67 minutes when Sandy’s shot hit the post but Joel Carta followed up to fire home.

And top scorer Carta doubled the advantage with 16 minutes to go when Sandy laid the ball back to the edge of the area and Carta curled his effort into the top corner.

Steve Kinniburgh’s team wrapped things up in stoppage-time when substitute Jake Bettles recovered from a poor first touch to find the net.

The Steelmen now turn their attention to the quarter-finals of the NFA Hillier Senior Cup when they entertain Brackley Town at Steel Park on Wednesday night.