O'Connor at the double as Poppies take a point

Aaron O'Connor scored both goals as Kettering Town twice came from behind to earn another point on the road with a 2-2 draw at Frome Town.

Saturday, 2nd December 2017, 5:36 pm
Updated Tuesday, 12th December 2017, 12:12 pm
Aaron O'Connor gets round Frome Town goalkeeper Kyle Phillips to score his and Kettering Town's first goal in the 2-2 draw. Pictures by Peter Short

The Poppies confirmed the signing of former Altrincham centre-back Tom Marshall yesterday (Friday) and he was handed his debut with Brett Solkhon only fit enough for the bench after picking up a knock in the 1-1 draw at Banbury United.

Rene Howe also returned to the starting line-up with Mathew Stevens dropping to the bench while Ben Milnes and Ben Baker were back among the substitutes after recovering from illness and injury respectively.

But it was Frome who started the better and Paul White turned a Jon Davies effort onto the post before making an even better stop from Darren Jefferies as he followed in.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Action from the Poppies' 2-2 draw at Frome

And the hosts did take the lead on 14 minutes when George Miller headed home a Davies cross to the back post.

O’Connor forced Kyle Phillips into a good save while White was called into action again to stop another Davies effort.

But Kettering did get back on level terms against the run of play when a good move between Lindon Meikle and Howe eventually saw the ball fall to O’Connor who got past Phillips and scored into an empty net.

The Poppies were much better after the break and Rhys Hoenes had a shot blocked before Ben Toseland was out of luck as his effort was tipped onto the crossbar by Phillips.

Action from the Poppies' 2-2 draw at Frome

O’Connor went through one-on-one but Phillips produced another save to deny him.

And Frome took advantage of those let-offs as they regained the lead on 78 minutes when Davies sent a cross in and Jake Jackson was on hand to fire home.

But Kettering responded within a minute with O’Connor heading home a corner at the near post.

Both sides had chances in a grandstand finish but honours finished even with the Poppies remaining in fourth place in the Evo-Stik South League Premier ahead of Tuesday’s home clash with St Ives Town.