Wanderers end Oadby’s unbeaten start

Burton Park Wanderers manager Joe Smyth
Burton Park Wanderers manager Joe Smyth

Burton Park Wanderers picked up one of the results of the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Division One season so far as they ended leaders Oadby Town’s unbeaten start with a 3-2 success at Latimer Park.

The victory came 17 days after Joe Smyth’s team had lost 8-0 at Oadby but, on this occasion, they took the lead through Cavell Jarvis before Liam Canavan equalised.

Oadby were reduced to nine men when two players were sent off and Wayne Brown looked to have won it for Wanderers with eight minutes to go before the visitors struck back through Cameron Powell to make it 2-2 late on.

However, their 17-match unbeaten run was ended as Jarvis grabbed the winner in the first minute of stoppage-time.

It proved to be an excellent night for the other local Division One clubs.

Thrapston Town inflicted only a third defeat of the season on high-flying Harrowby with a 2-1 success at Chancery Lane.

Martin Wormall gave Harrowby a half-time lead but two goals in two minutes turned the game on its head as Luke Cummins equalised with 15 minutes to go before Khameel Spence’s own-goal sealed the points.

Whitworth also fought back from a goal down to claim a crucial 3-1 win at Olney.

The hosts went in front through Darryl Smith but Luke McDonald levelled for the Flourmen before Remy Brittain put them in front. And it was Matt Judge who rounded it off in the second half.

Irchester United edged out bottom side Woodford United at Alfred Street as Jordan Pendered grabbed the only goal just before half-time.

Rothwell Corinthians squandered a 2-0 lead as ON Chenecks fought back to claim a dramatic 2-2 draw.

Shaun Morris and Tom Johnson looked to have sealed a fine away win for Corinthians as they were 2-0 up with nine minutes to go.

But Justin McKenzie pulled one back before Chenecks were awarded a stoppage-time penalty, which was converted by George Clarke.

A 2-2 draw was also the outcome at Hayden Road as Rushden & Higham and Northampton Spencer shared the spoils for the second time this season.

Munya Matiyeng put Spencer in front but the Lankies levelled thanks to a fine solo effort from Jon Tite.

The hosts took the lead through Craig Harrower but Spencer grabbed a point with nine minutes to go thanks to Luke Bartley’s glancing header.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds moved into the top five in the Premier Division with a routine 3-0 success over local rivals Stewarts & Lloyds at the Dog & Duck.

Matt Gearing broke the deadlock after 24 minutes and Alfie Taylor doubled the lead before half-time and the striker added his second to complete the scoring after the break.

The result means struggling S&L are now without a goal in seven matches.

Find the latest news from the United Counties League in tomorrow’s Northamptonshire Telegraph