UCL Round-up – Diamonds take the derby honours

Joe Smyth saw his Burton Park Wanderers team move into the top six of the UCL Division One with a 4-2 win over Bourne
Joe Smyth saw his Burton Park Wanderers team move into the top six of the UCL Division One with a 4-2 win over Bourne

AFC Rushden & Diamonds took the bragging rights at the S6 Stadium as they claimed a 2-0 success over local rivals Desborough Town in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division.

Sean McBride made the breakthrough for the visitors a minute before half-time. And the three points were wrapped up in the second period thanks to a goal from Fazel Koriya.

Rothwell Corinthians picked up the result of the night in Division One as they stunned high-flying Harrowby with a 6-2 victory at Seargents Lawn.

Sam Johnson hit a post before giving the hosts the lead but the visitors drew level before the break through Bobby Lee.

The game’s turning point came seven minutes into the second half when Harrowby’s Jack Whyley was adjudged to have fouled Matt Redding in the penalty area. Whyley was sent off and Ben Johnson fired home from the spot.

Redding set up Simon Barby for the third but Harrowby did get back into it again when Liam Harper made it 3-2.

However, Corinthians went on to seal a fine win thanks to Tom Vorley’s own-goal, another from Sam Johnson and a sixth from Brett Rosella.

Burton Park Wanderers moved into the top six with a 4-2 home success over Bourne.

Deven Ellwood and Wayne Brown put the hosts 2-0 up before Richard Nelson pulled one back. But Nathan Wills and Brown made it 4-1 in the second half to ensure Nelson’s second of the game was only a consolation.

Thrapston Town also secured a good victory as they beat St Neots Saints 2-1.

Aidan Bradshaw gave them the lead and an own-goal from James Sage made it 2-0 before half-time. Tom Wood replied for Saints in the second half.

Rushden & Higham returned from Buckingham Town with a 1-1 draw. Steve Ainge gave the Lankies the lead but that was cancelled out by Ben Shepherd early in the second half.

There were goals galore at London Road as Whitworth slumped to a 7-3 home defeat to Eynesbury.

Tom Coles put the visitors in front before Remy Brittain levelled but Jack Weeden put Eynesbury back in front, only for James Mallows to equalise soon after.

Ben Wilks regained Rovers’ advantage before the break and goals from Weeden and Lee Bassett put them 5-2 up in the second half.

Ross Patrick pulled another back for the Flourmen but Bassett added two more to complete his hat-trick and the scoring.

Irchester United’s interest in the UCL Knockout Cup was ended after a 5-0 home defeat to Division One rivals and leaders Oadby Town.

Jon Stevenson (2), Josh Kind, Livo Dube and Jake Duffy grabbed the goals while Ryan Lovell missed a penalty for the Romans.