Late drama sees Ar Tarn’s cup hopes ended

Ian Walker's Desborough Town were knocked out of the FA Cup
Ian Walker's Desborough Town were knocked out of the FA Cup

Desborough Town’s hopes of progressing in the FA Cup were ended after they were on the end of a thrilling fightback from Boldmere St Michaels in the extra preliminary round.

Ar Tarn looked to be heading through after Leo Adams had given them the lead before Michael Byrne doubled that advantage early in the second period.

But two goals in three minutes from Kieran Westwood and Kieran Clarke brought the hosts level.

Byrne regained the lead for Desborough from the penalty spot but two more spot-kicks proved decisive as Clarke converted twice from 12 yards in the final 10 minutes to secure a 4-3 victory for the home side.

Wellingborough Town’s disappointing start to the season also continued in the FA Cup after they were beaten 4-2 by Bedfont & Feltham at the Dog & Duck.

The Doughboys were 2-0 down at the break thanks to Jason Pinnock’s brace, one of which was a penalty.

Joe Wright threw the hosts a lifeline a minute after the break but Luke Craig restored the visitors’ two-goal advantage.

Kyle Locklin struck 10 minutes from the end as Wellingborough searched for a way back but their hopes were extinguished in the last minute when Craig converted another spot-kick.

Raunds Town hold one of just two perfect records in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Division One after they made it three wins out of three.

In their first home game of the season, the Shopmates fought back from being 2-1 down to beat Rothwell Corinthians 4-2 at Kiln Park.

Dave Townsend had given the hosts the lead, only for Jordan Henson to equalise before a Cameron Starsmore penalty put Corinthians in front.

The lead was short lived, however, as Jamie Russell made it 2-2 just before half-time and second-half goals from Marc Harrison and Townsend ensured Raunds’ 100 per cent start stayed intact.

Whitworth dropped their first points of the season as they drew 2-2 at Buckingham Town.

All the goals came in the first half as Andy Cleere gave the hosts the lead, only for Cavell Jarvis to equalise a minute later.

Ant Sharp put the Flourmen 2-1 up on 16 minutes but Buckingham secured a share of the spoils when Joel McCormick struck soon after.

Thrapston Town picked up their second win in three matches with a 2-0 success at Stewarts & Lloyds, whose early-season struggles continued.

The Foundrymen are still waiting for their first goal and point of the season after they drew another blank at Occupation Road.

Jedd Whiteman’s free-kick was headed back across goal by Jack Wisniewski for Chris Hope to finish as Thrapston took a 14th-minute lead.

And the scoring was completed early in the second half when Wisniewski cut in from the left before firing home.

After two wins in a row, Rushden & Higham’s good start to the season was ended in emphatic style as they were thrashed 5-0 at Blackstones.

Sam Strange and Adam Scotcher both scored twice for the hosts while the win was rounded off by Seb Hood in the last minute.

Irchester United went down 3-1 at Lutterworth Athletic, who sit on top of the early standings.

Jack Sutherland put the hosts in front before Dan Spaughton levelled for the Romans before the break.

Billy Hayes restored the home side’s advantage and the victory was wrapped up by Sam Young.

Burton Park Wanderers were undone by Brad Janes who scored all four goals for Bugbrooke in their 4-1 success at Latimer Park.

Janes opened the scoring from the penalty spot but Liam Nicell had Wanderers level at the interval as he also converted from 12 yard.

But Janes hit a second-half hat-trick to complete a fine individual display.