Impressive Diamonds return to winning ways

Mark Starmer's AFC Rushden & Diamonds team returned to winning ways with a 4-2 home success over Cogenhoe United in the UCL Premier Division
Mark Starmer's AFC Rushden & Diamonds team returned to winning ways with a 4-2 home success over Cogenhoe United in the UCL Premier Division

AFC Rushden & Diamonds returned to winning ways in impressive style as they saw off high-flying Cogenhoe United 4-2 at the Dog & Duck in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division.

Fazel Koriya put the hosts in front after five minutes and it stayed 1-0 until the break.

Sean McBride headed home the second on 65 minutes before Jamal Clarke looked to have made the game safe with the third.

Courtney Herbert pulled one back for the Cooks but Ben Morgan secured the points for Mark Starmer’s men four minutes from full-time to ensure Herbert’s second in stoppage-time was nothing more than a consolation.

Unfortunately, it was a bad day for the other local clubs in the Premier Division as they all slipped to defeats.

Wellingborough Town’s good run of form was ended by another high-flying team in the form of Yaxley as they went down 1-0.

hgghghhg was enough to give the hosts all three points.

Desborough Town were beaten 4-3 at AFC Kempston, who gave their new bosses Jimmy Stoyles and Gary Flinn a winning start.

Jordan Ivy put the hosts in front but Michael Byrne levelled for Ar Tarn, who were behind again before the break as Lucas Kirkpatrick struck for Kempston.

Shaun Goodall brought Desborough level again on 57 minutes but the home side regained their lead through Scott Joseph before Ivy’s second looked to have secured all three points.

However,Byrne struck again in stoppage-time to ensure a nervy finish but Ar Tarn were unable to find an equaliser.

It was a terrible day for Stewarts & Lloyds as they were on the end of a 7-0 hammering at Wisbech Town with the goals coming from just two players.

Callum Reed (2) and Tom James put the Fenmen 3-0 up at the break and they didn’t hold back after the break. Reed completed his hat-trick and then James hit the three other goals to complete a miserable afternoon for Kevin Byrne’s side.

Thrapston Town produced one of the surprise results of the day in Division One as they claimed a superb 1-0 success at high-fliers Lutterworth Athletic.

Thrapston had been beaten by the Leicestershire outfit at Chancery Lane just a few weeks ago but a 10th-minute strike from debutant Ryan Gormley ensured they gained revenge.

Raunds Town were also 1-0 winners as they edged out bottom side Woodford United at Kiln Park.

Liam Bulmer grabbed the decisive goal on 16 minutes as the Shopmates moved into sixth place.

There were eight goals at Hayden Road as Rushden & Higham produced a terrific second-half fightback to complete a league double over Bugbrooke with a 5-3 success.

Kurt Spence put the hosts in front before Harry May levelled for the Lankies.

Gavin Nullatamby and Brad Janes gave Bugbrooke a 3-1 advantage but Steve Ainge pulled one back before the break.

There were just 18 minutes remaining when May grabbed his second to make it 3-3 and Aidy Mann’s side produced a big finish as Craig Lawman put them in front before rounding it off with his second in stoppage-time.

There were also eight goals at Oadby Town. Unfortunately, they all went to the unbeaten league leaders as Burton Park Wanderers were on the end of a heavy defeat.

Jon Stevenson (2), Levi Porter, Pradeep Bahrey and Courtney Meade made it 5-0 at half-time.

Burton had Wayne Richardson sent off in the second half and Oadby took advantage with Bahrey, Mead and Stevenson all adding to their own personal tallies to round off a bad day for Wanderers.

Rothwell Corinthians made it seven matches without defeat as they drew 1-1 at Olney Town.

James Wardell put the home side in front but they were reduced to 10 men when they conceded a penalty, which was converted by Matt Redding.

But Shaun Sparrow’s men were unable to find a winner, despite having a man advantage for the remainder of the contest.

A depleted Irchester United slipped to their first defeat in eight as Chae Simons’ 17th-minute goal sealed a 1-0 success for St Neots Town at Alfred Street.

And Whitworth’s struggles continued as they went down 3-0 to second-placed Harrowby at London Road. Sam Hill scored a goal in each half for the visitors while Luke Peberdy was also on target.