FA Vase & UCL Round-up – Premier quartet enjoy a good day

Steve Walker saw his Desborough Town side claim a dramatic late winner at Radford in the FA Vase
Steve Walker saw his Desborough Town side claim a dramatic late winner at Radford in the FA Vase

All four of the north Northamptonshire ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division sides are still in the FA Vase after a good day in the first qualifying round.

And the most thrilling encounter came at Occupation Road as Stewarts & Lloyds produced a fine comeback to beat Bardon Hill Sports 4-3 after extra-time.

The visitors looked to be heading into the next round after Mark Schulz struck a first-half double. But Connor Kennedy reduced the arrears on the hour before Richard Moore forced extra-time with a last-minute equaliser.

S&L took full advantage as player-manager Kevin Byrne put them in front for the first time before Moore made it 4-2. Schulz completed his hat-trick on 110 minutes but the Foundrymen held on.

There were impressive results on the road for both Wellingborough Town and Desborough Town.

The Doughboys headed to Harefield United with a long injury list but a Chris Davies goal on 35 minutes proved to be enough for Craig Adams’ troops.

And it was the same outcome at Radford where Desborough booked their place in the next stage with a dramatic late goal. Ar Tarn hit the woodwork three times in the first half but they finally broke through in the last minute thanks to Ben Williams.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds will do it all again with AFC Dunstable at the Dog & Duck on Tuesday night after the two clubs couldn’t be separated after 120 minutes of football.

Chris Francis put Dunstable in front in the first half but Russ Dunkley headed in Fazel Koriya’s free-kick and neither side could find a winner.

There was disappointment for two UCL Division One sides in the Vase, however, as struggling Rothwell Corinthians went down 1-0 at Ibstock United in heartbreaking fashion.

It had ended goalless after 90 minutes and it was the hosts who found the winner in the last minute of extra-time when Chris Rudkin struck.

Rushden & Higham were up against league rivals Northampton Spencer at Hayden Road and suffered a 4-0 defeat as Paul Pickering (2), Matt Long and Luke Stone did the damage.

Raunds Town’s brilliant start to the UCL Division One season continued as they made it seven matches unbeaten with a 2-0 win over Bugbrooke at Kiln Park.

Adam Frost’s own-goal gave the Shopmates a first-half lead and Fernand Bass completed the victory just past the hour.

Burton Park Wanderers enjoyed a third successive win as they thrashed Blackstones 5-0 at Lincoln Road.

The visitors had to wait until the 40th minute for their opening goal but still went on to lead 3-0 at half-time. Deven Ellwood broke the deadline before further strikes came from Danny Hockridge and Luke McIlroy put their side in charge.

Mike Houghton added number four and Dan Spaughton completed the rout on 79 minutes.

The local derby at London Road went the way of Thrapston Town as they inflicted a third successive home defeat on Whitworth with a 2-1 victory.

All the goals came in the first half with Liam Carter’s header and a Zack Mills goal giving Thrapston a 2-0 lead. Jamie White pulled one back for the Flourmen but that was the end of the scoring.

Irchester United are still waiting for their first win of the season after they went down 2-1 at Buckingham Town, despite taking the lead through Darryl Smith.

But Aaron Murrell levelled on 39 minutes and then grabbed what proved to be the winner on the stroke of half-time.