FA Vase & UCL Round-up – 10-man Diamonds go through

Mark Starmer saw his AFC Rushden & Diamonds side go through to the second qualifying round of the FA Vase
Mark Starmer saw his AFC Rushden & Diamonds side go through to the second qualifying round of the FA Vase

AFC Rushden & Diamonds booked their place in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase after an impressive display helped them beat AFC Dunstable 3-1 in their first qualifying round replay at the Dog & Duck.

And they were forced to do it with just 10 men for a large portion of the game after Joe Merrill was sent off for an alleged stamp on an opponent three minutes before half-time.

That incident led to Craig Butler bringing Dunstable level at 1-1 after Russ Dunkley had put Mark Starmer’s men in front after 11 minutes.

But Diamonds came out fighting and two quick goals early in the second half settled the contest. Alfie Taylor made it 2-0 when he converted a flick-on from Dunkley and it was the latter who finished the job with his second of the game from the edge of the area.

It means Diamonds will now take on Hoddesdon Town at home in the next stage a week on Saturday while their attention is now on the huge FA Cup first qualifying round clash at Cockfosters this weekend.

There was also plenty of midweek action in Division One of the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League and it proved to be a fruitful night for some of the local teams.

Thrapston Town produced the performance of the evening as they thrashed Peterborough Sports 5-1 in their first home game of the season.

Cory James hit a first-half hat-trick and Ben Sunderland added another to put the hosts 4-0 up at the break. Michael Rogers scored the fifth and not even a late consolation from Dan Clements could take the gloss off a fine night for Ian Walker’s team.

Raunds Town remain unbeaten so far this season as they fought back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 at Potton United, who are also yet to taste defeat.

Adam Dunville and Stevie Thomas put the hosts 2-0 up but the Shopmates stormed back after the break with Karl King’s brace earning them a point.

Burton Park Wanderers made it four wins in a row as they saw off Bugbrooke at Latimer Park. They did leave it late though as Cavell Jarvis came off the bench to hit the winner on 86 minutes.

Whitworth halted a five-match losing streak with a 0-0 draw at Buckingham Town and it proved to be another difficult night for Rothwell Corinthians, who went down to a seventh successive defeat at home to Lutterworth Atheltic.

Adam Laywood, Danny Laywood and Jack Sutherland put the visitors 3-0 up at half-time before Mark Baker made it four early in the second half. Sam Johnson scored a late consolation for Corinthians.

Don’t miss all the latest news from the United Counties League in this week’s Northamptonshire Telegraph