Dramatic finish gives Williams a winning start with Doughboys

Shaun Sparrow's Rothwell Corinthians side moved into the last eight of the NFA Hillier Senior Cup
Shaun Sparrow's Rothwell Corinthians side moved into the last eight of the NFA Hillier Senior Cup

Dave Williams’ reign as manager of Wellingborough Town started on a winning note, although it took a dramatic finish to get the job done at Sileby Rangers in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division.

Wes Emery missed a penalty for the Doughboys and they seemed to be heading for defeat when Tobi Odutolu struck for the hosts in the 81st minute.

But, with 90 minutes on the clock, new assistant-manager Jon Mitchell chipped the home goalkeeper to level the scores.

And Mitchell then turned provider to set up Daniel Uche for the winner in the second minute of stoppage-time as Wellingborough picked up only their second league victory of the season.

Chris Bradshaw suffered his first defeat since taking caretaker charge of Desborough Town as they were beaten 3-0 at Yaxley, who moved up to second as a result.

Dan Cotton opened the scoring for the hosts in the first half while Toby Ogbonna and Liam Hook added the others after the break.

Rothwell Corinthians booked their place in the quarter-finals of the NFA Hillier Senior Cup as they beat UCL Premier Division rivals Peterborough Northern Star 2-0 at Sergeants Lawn.

Merson Styles gave the hosts the lead on the stroke of half-time and Callum Plowright wrapped things up on the hour.

Rushden & Higham United maintained their impressive form in UCL Division One as they recorded a 3-1 success at local rivals Whitworth.

The Flourmen took a first-half lead through Dan Bendon but a strong performance after the break ensured the Lankies stayed in the top three.

Jack Dyson levelled and then further goals from Craig Harrower and Jake Reynolds secured the points.

Thrapston Town moved into the top four. although they left it late to seal a 5-3 win at struggling St Neots Town Saints.

Jedd Whiteman put Thrapston 1-0 up, only for Kelvin Osei-Addo to equalise for the hosts.

Another goal from Whiteman and one from Cory James on the half-hour seemed to have Thrapston in control but Osei-Addo went on to complete a first-half hat-trick to make it 3-3 at the break.

And it wasn’t until late on that Ben Morgan struck to make it 4-3 before Michael Rogers wrapped things up in stoppage-time.

Irchester United were forced to settle for a 2-2 draw as Long Buckby twice fought back at Alfred Street.

Dave Miles gave the Romans the perfect start when he put them in front in the first minute.

But it was all-square at the break when Raphael Clements levelled for the visitors.

Irchester looked like they had earned all three points when Ryan Lovell regained the lead with nine minutes to go.

But again Buckby battled back with Manasse Salumum grabbing their second equaliser of the game.

Raunds Town earned their first point in three outings as they drew 0-0 at Bugbrooke.

Stewarts & Lloyds’ UCL Knockout Cup clash at Premier Division side Boston Town was abandoned following a serious injury suffered by the Corby side’s Alan Campbell.

Division One high-fliers S&L were leading 3-1 when the injury occurred.