Doughboys unable to stop record-breaking Tulips

Action from AFC Rushden & Diamonds' 4-1 win over Long Buckby. Pictures by Tony Waugh
Action from AFC Rushden & Diamonds' 4-1 win over Long Buckby. Pictures by Tony Waugh

Wellingborough Town were unable to stop Spalding United from making history in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division.

But the in-form Doughboys made their hosts work hard for a 1-0 success, which created a new record of 17 successive wins at the start of a Premier Division campaign. The only goal came just past the hour when Mark Jones headed home.

Action from AFC Rushden & Diamonds' 4-1 win over Long Buckby. Pictures by Tony Waugh

Action from AFC Rushden & Diamonds' 4-1 win over Long Buckby. Pictures by Tony Waugh

AFC Rushden & Diamonds picked up their sixth successive victory with a 4-1 home victory over Long Buckby.

Russ Dunkley put Mark Starmer’s side in front and Sean McBride doubled the advantage before former Diamonds man Lance Allen pulled one back for the visitors.

Diamonds finished the job late on when Aaron King grabbed the third with Matt Gearing rounding off the win in stoppage-time.

Stewarts & Lloyds finally broke their goal drought and ended Holbeach United’s winning streak in a 1-1 draw at Occupation Road.

Joe Braithwaite put Holbeach in front but Danny Pownall scored S&L’s first goal in eight outings to earn a point.

Burton Park Wanderers were beaten 5-3 at Premier Division outfit Boston Town, who made progress into the next stage of the UCL Knockout Cup.

Josh Ford put Boston in front, only for Rob Foster to equalise but the hosts regained their advantage through Lori Borbely.

Cavell Jarvis made it 2-2 but Boston did hold a half-time lead when Ford struck again.

Wanderers levelled for a third time on 69 minutes when Lee Gotch was on target but Borbely’s second made it 4-3 and Burton were unable to fight back again as Matt Kennedy sealed the home side’s success late on.

Rothwell Corinthians continued their good run of form in Division One with a 2-1 win at Bourne Town.

Chris Clarke put the visitors in front and it was 2-0 on the half-hour when Sam Johnson was on target. Craig Rook pulled one back for Bourne but they were unable to prevent a fourth successive defeat.

Whitworth’s recent revival carried on as they ran out 5-2 winners at bottom side Woodford United.

The Flourmen went behind when Chris Fury put Woodford ahead but Jonny Hazell levelled things up before Remy Brittain put them 2-1 up at the break.

Matt Judge made it 3-1 before Fury found the net again for the hosts. But, after a floodlight failure, Whitworth rounded things off with Jamie White and Ridwan Emran completing the victory.

A repeat of the opening day of the season saw Raunds Town claim a 1-1 draw at St Neots Saints.

Tom Wood gave the hosts the lead but the Shopmates earned their 10th draw of the season on the hour through Karl King.

Managerless Thrapston Town lost 2-0 at Eynesbury Rovers in their first game since Ian Walker left to take over at Desborough Town.

Lee Bassett gave Rovers a half-time lead and Scott Field added the second with 16 minutes remaining.

Rushden & Higham produced a spirited fightback as they claimed a 2-2 draw at Lutterworth Athletic.

The hosts looked to be cruising at half-time thanks to goals from Liam Barrett and Paul Leaver. But the Lankies stormed back and Lewis O’Dell got them back in it before Dale Brunton grabbed the equaliser on the hour.

It was a bad day for Irchester United as Blackstones avenged an earlier defeat with a 3-0 success at Alfred Street thanks to goals from Roberto Da Silva, Adam Scotcher and Kieran Arthur.