Doughboys’ struggles continue with Deeping defeat

Wellingborough Town manager Dave Williams
Wellingborough Town manager Dave Williams

The weather was the big winner in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League this weekend with a number of matches falling foul of the rain.

But it was another bad day for Wellingborough Town as their Premier Division struggles continued with a 5-1 defeat at Deeping Rangers.

Goals from Scott Coupland and Jezz Goldson-Williams put the hosts 2-0 up at the break with the latter doubling his tally in the second half before Jason Kilbride made it 4-0 inside 50 minutes.

Will Bird added the fifth for Rangers before Nathan Burrows grabbed the Doughboys’ consolation with 10 minutes to go.

Just two games involving local clubs survived in Division One and rock-bottom Burton Park Wanderers became the latest victims for relentless leaders Peterborough Sports.

The home side’s 5-2 victory made it 13 wins from as many matches so far as they already look nailed on for the title.

The damage was done in the first half as Ollie Medwynter, Karl Gibbs (2) and Jordan Macleod put Sports in charge.

But Wanderers showed incredible spirit after the break as they became the first side to score twice against the leaders this season.

Gibbs completed his hat-trick to make it 5-0 but Wanderers responded through Blayne Chester and Jack Weight to ensure they left their mark on the contest.

Whitworth suffered a 3-1 home defeat to Lutterworth Athletic, who triumphed at London Road for the third season in a row.

Goals from Liam Barratt and Dom Ivens put the visitors in control and Ivens struck again on 61 minutes to end the contest.

The Flourmen replied through Jamie White but that was as good as it got.

Division One high-fliers Stewarts & Lloyds produced a stunning second-half fightback against Premier Division outfit Boston Town.

But it still wasn’t enough as the hosts triumphed 4-3 after extra-time in the first round of the UCL Knockout Cup.

The tie looked over at the break as Jack Wightwick, Jordan Nuttell and Richard Ford put Boston 3-0 up.

But Dany Reid pulled one back early in the second half before Lee Tosh’s penalty and a Paddy Daniels goal sent the match into extra-time.

However, it was the Poachers who advanced thanks to Wightwick’s goal on 101 minutes.

It was harsh on S&L who had been on the brink of an upset the first time the teams met, only for the game to be abandoned due to a serious injury to Alan Campbell.