Diamonds stay on course after thumping victory

Fazel Koriya scored twice as AFC Rushden & Diamonds thrashed Harborough Town 6-0
Fazel Koriya scored twice as AFC Rushden & Diamonds thrashed Harborough Town 6-0
Share this article

AFC Rushden & Diamonds are closing in on the runners-up spot in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division after they crushed relegation-threatened Harborough Town 6-0 at Bowdens Park.

Caretaker-manager Andy Peaks enjoyed a second successive victory since taking the reins following the departure of Mark Starmer and it was a couple of new signings who caught the eye.

Diamonds took the lead on 21 minutes when Greg Ling set up Brad Harris who scored with a deflected shot.

Jamal Clarke struck a post before one of the new boys, Tom Lorraine, set Fazel Koriya up to double the lead before the break.

Lorraine and Matt Gearing combined to give Koriya the chance to make it 3-0 five minutes into the second half before another new boy Scott Joseph made an impact from the bench.

He headed home the fourth before curling in from 18 yards to make it 5-0. And it was Gearing who had the final word with four minutes to go.

Desborough Town claimed a point on the road as they drew 1-1 at Boston Town.

Ar Tarn took the lead through Mark Reading eight minutes into the second half but the hosts secured a share of the spoils thanks to Paul Goodhand.

It was a disappointing day for Wellingborough Town, however, as they had Chris Davies sent off in the first half of their 3-1 defeat at Sleaford Town.

Ben Garrick was the home side’s hero as his first-half hat-trick ensured there would be no doubt how the game would finish.

Wellingborough did pull a goal back through Reece Brown in the second half but that was as good as it got.

It proved to be a disappointing day for the local clubs in Division One.

Honours ended even in the local derby at Latimer Park as Burton Park Wanderers squandered a 2-0 lead against Thrapston Town.

The hosts had a two-goal cushion after half-an-hour thanks to Tommy Newman and Ben Wharton.

But Jedd Whiteman pulled a goal back for Thrapston and Chris Hope earned his team a point with the equaliser in the final minute of the first period.

Oadby Town are closing in on the title after two late goals gave them a 2-0 success at Rushden & Higham.

The Lankies put up some stern resistance but Jack Duffy made the breakthrough after 75 minutes and the visitors wrapped up the points thanks to a Jon Stevenson penalty.

Irchester United went down 2-1 at home to Bourne, who took the lead through Alex Brockbank.

Ryan Lovell ensured the Romans went in level at the break but a second-half strike from Seb Hood gave Bourne the points.

Raunds Town suffered a 3-0 home defeat to ON Chenecks, who completed the double over the Shopmates.

Ben Diamond and Justin McKenzie gave the visitors a 2-0 lead at half-time and Calvin Budd completed the scoring on 64 minutes.