Diamonds gain revenge while Ar Tarn pick up a fine success

Mark Starmer saw his AFC Rushden & Diamonds side beat Boston Town 1-0 at the Dog & Duck
Mark Starmer saw his AFC Rushden & Diamonds side beat Boston Town 1-0 at the Dog & Duck

AFC Rushden & Diamonds strengthened their grip on second place in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division as they gained revenge on Boston Town at the Dog & Duck.

Mark Starmer’s men were beaten 2-1 in Lincolnshire three weeks ago but picked up their third win in a row since then as they beat the Poachers 1-0.

They had to wait until 19 minutes from full-time to grab the goal as Fazel Koriya struck to end the visitors’ resistance.

Diamonds remain 13 points behind leaders Spalding United, who claimed a 6-2 success at third-placed Cogenhoe United.

Desborough Town’s first game of 2014 saw them pick up one of their best results since Ian Walker took over as manager as they cruised to a 3-0 win over Wisbech Town at the S6 Stadium.

Shaun Goodall gave Ar Tarn a half-time lead and that was doubled thanks to Michael Byrne’s penalty three minutes into the second.

And Mark Forbes had the final say as he wrapped up a fine victory in the last minute.

Wellingborough Town were denied a league double over Long Buckby as they were pegged back by a late goal at Station Road.

Stuart Smeathers’ goal just past the hour looked to be enough for the Doughboys but Josh Crawley popped up with an equaliser for the hosts seven minutes from the end.

Managerless Stewarts & Lloyds dropped into the relegation zone as they were well beaten 3-0 at Sleaford Town.

Scott Coupland put the hosts in front from the penalty spot, Adam Weston headed home the second on 56 minutes and Ben Garrick’s late goal rounded things off.

Rushden & Higham United took the bragging rights in the Division One derby at Hayden Road as two first-half goals were enough to see off Raunds Town.

Jory Mann opened the scoring with a penalty and Lewis O’Dell completed a 2-0 victory six minutes later as the Lankies leapfrogged their local rivals into eighth place.

It was a good day for Thrapston Town boss Richard Scott as he secured his first win since taking over.

Jedd Whiteman gave the visitors an early lead at Bugbrooke, who equalised two minutes into the second half through Jimmy Moore.

But Luke Cummins struck on the hour and that was enough to complete a 2-1 victory.

Rothwell Corinthians grabbed a late equaliser as they drew with Olney Town for the second time this season.

They started well at Seargents Lawn when Sam Johnson put them in front but the visitors turned things around to lead 2-1 at half-time thanks to goals from Deanio Bailey-Browne and Steve Watson.

It looked like Olney would hold on but Ian Hay rescued a point for the hosts with a minute to play.

Irchester’s home clash with Eynesbury and Whitworth’s game against Bourne were both postponed.