Diamonds battle back to maintain superb home form

Andy Peaks' AFC Rushden & Diamonds side maintained their superb home form with a 4-1 victory over Thurnby Nirvana
Andy Peaks' AFC Rushden & Diamonds side maintained their superb home form with a 4-1 victory over Thurnby Nirvana

AFC Rushden & Diamonds’ relentless form at the Dog & Duck continued as they fought back from a goal down to beat Thurnby Nirvana 4-1.

Andy Peaks’ men have now scored 22 goals in five successive home victories and their latest victory saw them close the gap on leaders Holbeach United to three points.

Diamonds fell behind to Pearson Mwanyonga’s goal after 34 minutes but Russ Dunkley equalised five minutes before the break.

Brad Harris put the hosts in front before Scott Joseph marked his return to the club from AFC Kempston with the third.

And Matt Gearing rounded off another excellent afternoon from the penalty spot late on.

Desborough Town ended a run of four league defeats in a row with a 2-2 draw at Sleaford Town.

Scott Coupland gave the hosts the lead but debutant Jake Bettles levelled before the break before Michael Byrne put Ar Tarn in front a minute into the second half.

But Desborough were denied all three points when Euan Clarke struck with nine minutes to go.

Wellingborough Town slipped to a 3-1 defeat at Wisbech Town, who made it five home victories in a row.

Billy Smith put the hosts in front inside the first minute and he doubled the lead just past the hour before Danny Beaumont put the result beyond doubt.

Jake Newman grabbed a consolation for the Doughboys from the penalty spot but there was no way back into the game.

Rothwell Corinthians made it five matches without defeat in Division One with a 2-0 victory at Potton United.

After a goalless first half, Ben Johnson broke the deadlock on the hour and the win was completed five minutes later through Jordan Henson.

Raunds Town’s pursuit of the leading teams was halted as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Burton Park Wanderers at Kiln Park.

Wanderers went into the game on the back of six successive losses but Jake Bailey earned them a share of the spoils after Nick Harrison had put the Shopmates in front.

Thrapston Town picked up another victory at Chancery Lane as they ended Olney Town’s winning run with a 2-1 success.

First-half goals from Jack Wisniewski and Leigh Chapman proved decisive as Thrapston held on after Deanio Bailey-Browne pulled a goal back with 13 minutes to go.

Whitworth bounced back from their midweek defeat at Woodford United with a 3-2 home win over Blackstones.

James Gorman and Cavell Jarvis put the Flourmen in control as they went in at half-time with a 2-0 lead.

But Blackstones pulled one back through a Gorman own-goal before Adam Scotcher brought them back on level terms.

However, Matt Judge was the hero for Whitworth as he grabbed the winner on 86 minutes.

Stewarts & Lloyds’ wait for a first point this season continues as they went down to a 13th defeat in as many matches.

Buckingham Town sealed a 4-1 victory at Occupation Road with Andy Cleere scoring twice in the first half.

Djedje Gomes pulled a goal back for the Foundrymen but Liam Gallagher made it 3-1 before Joe Donaldson completed the scoring.

Adam Spalding grabbed the only goal of the game as ON Chenecks maintained their challenge at the top of the table with a win over Irchester United.

Rushden & Higham went down 3-1 at Bugbrooke, who took the lead through Ryan Ansell.

Jory Mann brought the Lankies level before the break but a second-half double from Brad Janes sealed the points for the hosts.